You know your shop is too small ...

Page 1 of 2
... when you (and two helpers) have to bring a client's project into your living room to trim it out:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopSBJ_Desk201102#5745723301938697234
(I want my next project to be a cutting board ... a _small_ cutting board)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I hear that. <g> My last 4 projects have been a 5'x5' CNC router (finishing today, I hope), 200'+ of wire fencing, a 12x16' flagstone patio, and a 20' cedar fence. 2 in queue are a pair of 9-1/2'x8' barn doors to close off a carport and a 12' cedar gate.
My old bod's ready for a small project, too.
-- When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake. -- Stephanie Barron (Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)
On 5/23/2012 9:18 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

No kidding ... amazing, as you get older, what a difference just one year makes in how physical stuff just gets tougher. Last year at this same time, in May, I was working all day long, on off days from a big kitchen and remodel, doing this by myself, with no help whatsoever ...
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopRetrofit2011
... and with what seems like a whole lot less effort than this particular desk is taking.
This week, I hired a 26 year old kid to give me hand with the thing, and the SOB is getting a kick of me working my ass off trying to keep up with him.
Then again, maybe not ... he called in sick this morning. (thank gawd!) :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

"Swingman" wrote:

SFWIW, my 88 year old cousin, a farmer all his life, had a hip replacement in January,
He just finished his spring planting a couple of weeks ago.
Lew
"Swingman" wrote:

The latest from my 88 year old cousin.
He is a tough old bird. ----------------------------------- Took the last load in about 4:00 PM.
Glad to be done , but no more income till fall .
Ken took the pontoon up to the lake Glad .
The old man is worn to a frazal, Even driving the semi wears me out.
Gonna hit the hay.
---------------------------------
Lew

My niece did that with me on the 140 steps going up to the gunnery points on DiamondHead Crater on Oahu back when I was 40-something. We were both surprised that I kept up as long as I did, though.

Yeah, I need a day to recouperate after (trying to) keep up with a worker, too. I grok that in its entirety. I hired a kid (41) to help me with the fence and flagstone, and I used his tireless body to do most of the harder work. My right rotator cuff is increasingly screaming at me, so I'm afraid my days as a handyman are numbered. Another career change is OK with me, but physical work is what's putting food on the table at the moment.
What I thought was a scratch or bruise during the fencing thing last week was evidently a spider bite. The area, right where my sock ends, now has a somewhat rectangular red spot about the size of my ring fingernail. There's sort of a hard spot in the skin there. It has me interested.
-- When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake. -- Stephanie Barron (Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)

Might be worth getting tested for Lyme if the spot grows... I know a LOT of people who have or have had it including the owner of the sawmill where I last bought wood and a lot of outdoorsmen.
I say this after my second dose of Benadryl... I was apparently bitten by a spider last night while sleeping. Things started as a bump on my lower backside when I woke up and then went to swollen lips and labored breathing. Dammed bugs!
John
On 5/24/2012 8:30 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Damn, Bubba! I just took a trip to a dermatologist last month for 100,000 mile checkup (spent the most part of my youth in the sun in shorts with no shirt), and the occasionally itchy, quarter sized, red spot on my thigh, that has been ongoing on two years with no change, was suspected to be a spider bite.
She didn't seem concerned ...
(Hey, if we start comparing bowel movements, someone shoot us, please ... it's apparently hazard of that certain age ... and starts out just like the above). :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

This one looked like a mosquito bite the first day, then got redder and itched, so I put some tea tree oil, then bacitracin on it. It stopped itching so I forgot about it for a couple days, and it grew. The soreness when pushing on it remains about the same, which isn't unusual for bites/stings. It's still smaller than a dime. It bothers me because it's unusual. I survived a black widow bite without any problems. That felt like someone putting out a cigarette butt on my arm for about a minute. First, it was a white dot in a red circle, then it became a 1/16" red dot in a 7/16" white circle. It was entirely gone in a week.

Good for you.

Yeah, BMs or colonoscopy doctor results. <ick>
-- When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake. -- Stephanie Barron (Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)
On Thu, 24 May 2012 08:04:44 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Well, I'll toss in something not quite that bad that might be useful info for some of us old farts.
I had a precancerous condition known as Barrett's esophagus caused by acid reflux. Standard treatment has been diet and prilosec or similar, with checks every 6-12 months to see if it has progressed. If so, survival rates aren't very good.
I wasn't happy with that course of action so I started looking around and found something called "radio frequency ablation". I had to travel to a university medical research center to get the work done, but 2 treatments and my esophagus is healed.
Most gut docs should be aware of RFA by now, but mine wasn't until I found it (about 3 years ago). So if any of you get the BE diagnosis, now you can get it fixed. For more info, see:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110811100939.htm
Hope this is of use to someone and I promise not to discuss my next colonoscopy :-).

On Thu, 24 May 2012 16:45:10 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

I had thought I had something like that but a few ounces of Aloe Vera gel daily (mixed with anything strong so the lovely "contaminated clorox" taste is minimized) took care of my overacidic tendency.

Not even if someone assed you nicely? (sorry, couldn't help myself)
-- When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake. -- Stephanie Barron (Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)
On 5/24/2012 8:52 AM, Swingman wrote:

She probably was thinking, this is certainly Bush's fault.
I feel a Johnny Carson thing coming on...
You know your shop is too small when...
1. The mice move out because it is too small. 2. When you drop something on the floor, and you never find it. 3. You have to store your lumber in the back yard or under the eaves. 4. Only skinny people will fit in your shop. 5. You can't use any hand tool or power tool without bumping your elbow into something. 6. When your primary work bench is a portable unit that sets up on saw horses in the driveway. 7. When your power tools become claustrophobic. 8. Your wife won't go in there to put junk on your tools and benches. 9. The only time you see the floor is when you move a completed project out of the shop. 10. There are rumors that people have gone into your shop, never to be seen again.
I will be working here all week. Be sure to tip your waiter.
On 5/23/2012 9:52 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

You would be surprised how many of those already apply.
ROTFL ... keep'em coming ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

you know your shop is to small when you turn around and your outside again

My girlfriend always wonders why I had so many cuts and bruieses. Told her it's just dangerous walking around in the shop. I just added 360 sq ft to a 600sq ft shop and as I started wheeling things around I'm realizing it's still small. I need to do what you did and build some better storage. As I clean up I'm sure I'll find lots of tools I've lost track of because I couldn't get to them with out moving at least 3 tools after moving others so I had a place to move them to.
Mike M
On 5/23/2012 2:13 PM, Mike M wrote:

Know the feeling ... not only do you have to plan the logical order of steps you're going to take to fabricate a project, you also have to plan to ahead so you can get to those tools against the wall that you're blocking with every step.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

You plane 1/8" off of a board and double the free space.
The vacuum has things stored inside it.
You can't wheel your tools out to the drive, there's just no space.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On May 23, 7:52am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

My shop must be big enough, only 9 out of the 10 apply. (#6 is the only one that doesn't apply)
Luigi
Swingman wrote:

just Watch TV in the shop. Reminds me of a (distant) relative complaining that her husband had his motorcycle disassembled in the living room and the engine was in the bath tub.
--
G.W. Ross

When everything's coming your way,