You know you're getting old when...

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 16:44:31 -0400, "G.E.R.R.Y."

Yes, definitely. This a real problem with being too small. Lots and lots of tiny little buttons that should be pressed with some sort of toothpick, not big caloused fingers. And their too damn light. I want a camera sized just like my old Nikon.
Lazarus Long states:

And you go to rec.digitalphoto and find that many, if not most, of the posters are delighted with shirtpocket cameras that do everything for them. Some of the top models are comparable in size and weight, and quality, to top SLRs like your old Nikon, but the prices are still in the stratosphere for non-pros. Lower than a few years ago by a lot, but Canon's D1s is $8000 bucks (body only) and the Kodak 14n is $5000, while reasonably comparable film cameras are $2000 and down, often way down (pro level down to about $800, I'd say).
Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) writes:

[That's rec.photo.digital]

The 300D and D70 are not bad, around $1k plus lenses. A good deal if you already have Canon or Nikon lenses.
Also check out the Panasonic FZ10, for around $600. Quality will not match the SLRs, but it's not bad, and it's a big solid camera compared to most in it's price range (10x stabilized zoom, with manual focus ring). For more info see: http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/index.html
It has an electronic viewfinder which you may or may not like (it's better than most EVFs), but in that price range the alternative is a non-TTL "optical tunnel". If you want optical TTL then you're back to the $1-2K range (and up).
[Having said all that, I decided not to buy the FZ10-- I want something that will fit in a large coat pocket, and the FZ10 won't. I'll probably end up with something like a used Canon G3.]
In article
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com says...

And Garrett Wade is still selling clamps marked "made in W. Germany" - they must have bought a boatload :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?