You Have To See This Piece by Keith Newton

Whether you're just starting out in woodworking or have been making furniture for 20 or 30 years and think you've seen it all and done it all - you have to see this desk by Keith Newton.

If you've seen the coopered pieces by Jere Osgood and were astounded

- you have to see this desk by Keith Newton.

If you're a boatbuilder and appreciate joining parts, none of which are flat or straight or meet in a plane - you have to see this desk by Keith Newton.

If you appreciate nice curve - where ever they're to be found - you have to see this desk by Keith Newton.

If you can see a mathematical equation as a 3-D shape - you have to see this desk by Keith Newton.

And if you like puzzles - read the text that accompanies this desk by Keith Newton - and imagine how you'd do the hinges - forget about actually making them yourself - with tools found in your shop.

charlieb

front opens, but how is that a desk? It's too low to stand while working, the single column makes it impossible to sit with a chair pulled up and there's no work surface.

If it's sculpture, he should just leave it at that.

RicodJour

My first impression was: Astounding piece of work! My second was: so what's it for? Other than a neat piece of art, I can't see that it would have much use. I think Mr. Newton described it well when he said he designed it as a window piece to draw folks into the shop.

Kudo's to Mr. Newton for his effort. but the "form follows function" rule is too embedded in my head to be much impressed. OTOH, it is much better than those art museum pieces that consist of a few pieces of charred painted wood held together by a few bent nails.

-Z

charlieb wrote in news:467E9297.2CB8 @accesscom.com:

Reply to
High Score

That was my thought, the obsession with curves means the front gets tipped up out of the way on hinges that get in the way of the internals. Sure, have the outside curved, but make the inside flat and have it fold down to provide a work surface. Then you could sit and get your legs under without fouling the stem.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby