You Hav To See This Man's Work To Believe It - honest

Page 3 of 3

Is it just me, or does this peice appear to be flipping you off?
http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/picture/english/fingerde5.jpg
:)
I looked at it, thought it was impossible, then saw the name. Okay...
But how is it made?
I suppose a better question is "how is any of it made", but it is only the trick box that looks impossible rather than incredible.

Which one?
http://www.puzzleworld.org/PuzzleWorld/puz/japanese_trick_box.htm

I think he was refering to the one listed as "Trick Joint Box" http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/jointwork.html
I would imagine the joints were carefully measured and cut, then the pieces were steamed or soaked to soften them so the wood woulg by pliable and soft for assembly.
Toller wrote:

Here's my solution:
http://www.holzwerken.de/pics/loesung2.jpg
The two black triangles are actually cone shaped, the white triangle is a cone shaped hole. The joint goes together by sliding the cone on the left tenon through the U-shaped tunnel at the base of the right tenon. I didn't try it out, so I'm not sure if it works this way.
Wolfgang
charlie b wrote:

Spectacular work.
Japanese saws in the shop of a Japanese guy who lives in Japan - Who'd a thunk it... :)
Pete C.