You Hav To See This Man's Work To Believe It - honest

Page 1 of 3

Found a link to this Master's site in Taunton's Knots forum. If you think you've seen most of the possible ways to hold two pieces of wood together - well think again. If you think that if you've seen a well executed dovetail joint you've seen them all - well think again. If you think you've already seen the nicest wood there is - thing again. If you think that Krenov couldn't possibly be out-Krenoved - you maybe want to think again. After you spend an hour or so on Yazawa's site you'll come away saying "DAMN that guy is a great woodworker - and truly a master of his craft!
http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/english.html
If you're a handtools junkie - check out his shop. Never saw so many Japanese saws in one place.
charlie b
charlie b wrote:

*Yawn* Seen all that before.
Just kidding. Pretty spectacular.
"Finger joints"-- hahaha.
Ya, I love the finger joint detail. Pretty cool.

charlie b wrote:

I particularly like the finger joints.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
"Gerald Ross" wrote in message

I like the edges of his work ... beautifully honest.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06
Swingman wrote:

Ditto. Perfectly machined edges are glaring to me these days.
JP
"charlie b" wrote

I am staring at the two hunks of ham at the end of each arm. Compared to this guy, I am an amputee. This guy has taken some hand crafts to a whole new level.
Lee Michaels wrote:

I have to say I'm feeling a bit inadequate myself. What an incredible craftsman.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

To me, there is nothing wrong with having an attitude that "I am good at what I do. Not the best, but pretty good."
I do have an attitude with people who say, "I'm the best."
I believe if you involved Mr. Yazawa in a conversation, he would say, "Oh, I have a lot to learn," or "There are some who are far better than I," or 'Thank you, but I am only a beginner."
True talent on this scale is always tempered with modesty.
Untalented people always amuse me with their lack of humility.
You, Mr. Michaels are a person I am impressed with as much as Mr. Yazawa.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Bullshit. I lack talent and have plenty of humility. In fact, it's my finest feature.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

Why would I not expect that from someone with your name?
knock on wood
Steve

That stuff is more art than anything else.
Reminds me of the story about a fellow that presented pictures of a dresser as an indication of his skills at a job interview. The dresser was nice with dovetailed drawers, etc. but was rather plain looking.
"That's nice but not very impressive" said the interviewer. "How long did that take you to complete?"
"2 years" said the applicant proudly.
"2 years and this is all you have to show?"
"Why yes. All I had was an old tree and a pocket knife."

Beautiful work. Shows to go ya that the skill level of woodworkers has great variation. Earl Creel

I am not worthy
charlie b wrote:

Damn, and I thought I knew at least a little about furniture making John
John B wrote:

As did I. :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Dave Bugg wrote:

FOR SALE: I shed load of wood working tools, Only used by a complete amateur. :)
John
Charlie, thanks for pointing that one out. Amazing stuff alright.
charlie b wrote:

Yep. They don't make them like they used to...oh wait, this guy is alive?! ;)
He combines superlative skill, an eye for proportion and design, and a sense of humor. I wonder if he has a sister....

If she has the skills and talents of her brother, she would be worthless in other regards....................