You guys were right, I was wrong

I gave QEP (re: tile saw) the benefit of the doubt, but I was a little disa ppointed, again.

I contacted/complained to QEP and they repeatedly tried to blamed the damag e(?) on shipping and handling, but they did offer to replace the saw.

I contacted Zoro, whom I bought the saw from, and they didn't hesitate to r eplace or refund. I elected a refund.

I was at Home Depot and noticed they had a model 61024 set up. There was n o spacing between that motor housing and blade/blade guard, as my saw had. When I got home, I did another inspection of my saw. Take a look at what else I discovered: the arbor, arbor bearing. I didn't pull/push on it, but the arbor is probably loose, also. No doubt water got inside the motor, a lso. My initial complaint was about the spacing between the motor and bla de guard, hence the exposed arbor would fling/spray water, causing water to get into the switch box area.

I sent QEP and Zoro these pics, with comments.

I went by Harbor Freight and checked out their Chicago Electric 10" tile sa w. It's heavier than the QEP saw, it looks and feels better built, the sta nd is more firm/sturdy/larger wheels, the work table slides better, the fen ce is much, much better, has more HP, less expensive. The only downside: I won't get 20% off (coupon) until Thursday.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I gave QEP (re: tile saw) the benefit of the doubt, but I was a little disappointed, again.

---------------------------------------------------------- Glad to see you got out from under that piece of crap.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have used the Chicago Electric, and have not had any issues. Yes, I cut plenty of paver stones....... Hundreds....... Did 3 tile jobs..........and it has paid for itself..... I had to glue down the rubber mat on the sliding table with contact cement.... The China glue down did not stand up well. The motor is plastic housing, and like many now a days.....it worked fine. The blade cover is cheap plastic too. If it ever fails, I will make one out of sheet metal. It hasn?t.... Good Luck. john

[...]

jloomis

A couple of the tile/masonry guys here in town I use have these saws:

9275.html

They love 'em. They take a pretty good licking on the jobs, then ride arou nd in the truck at the end of the day. One of them has had his personal sa w for about three years! He likes them as they are cheap enough to buy for his guys to have one when they need it, and weigh in at about 1/3 the pric e he was paying for his normal saws.

He rated the saw as "pretty good", and the blade as OK. For large tiles, t he blade fine, but for smaller ceramics he had chip out on the cuts. So he moved the stock blade to another saw to cut bricks, pavers, rock, and big clay tiles and solved the problem. He put a better blade on his personal s aw and hasn't looked back since.

He is a production guy, and it should be noted that if a grout joint, a cau lked corner or a piece of trim will hide the minor chipping on the cuts, he lets his guys use the stock blade. I have watched him use this saw on a f ew jobs, and it whizzes right through big tiles, even with the stock blade.

This could be one of those tools that HF got "right".

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

20% off coupons are ALWAYS available here:
25% off valid through 12/5/2014:
Spalted Walt

Yep, that's the saw I compared, checked out. In the store, I muscled it, a bit. It felt more robust than the QEP saw, which felt kind of flimsy. The HF saw, with stand, weighs 10 lbs more than the QEP saw.

Reply to
Sonny