You guys are killing me!!!!!!

I have been agonizing over which planer to buy for the last two weeks. I have posted questions asking if people thought the Delta or Dewlt was the way to go. I finally decided on the Dewalt about an hour ago. I then see the post that the price has dropped over $150 since I last checked an hour ago. So I bought it. I have also been searching for a dado set. I really wanted the Forrest but couldn't afford it. I have been checking out Freud sets on EbayI figured it was going to cost around a $100 for a used one. Then I see the post that Amzon has the Forrest for $150. That's half price. So I ordered that tonight. I am excited, and eager to start work. I have spent most of the week getting the shop set up. Maybe Monday will see some wood being cut. Max

I read your message and could not believe my eyes. You have magical timing. These are both astounding buys on two great products. I have the Forrest Dado set and its as good as it gets.
I wonder if these price drops are indicative of what we can expect for the coming Christmas season.
While you are shopping, please find me a similar deal on a Lamello Plate jointer, a Laguna bandsaw, and a few Lie Neilson and Tom Knight planes. Well, I have good taste anyway.
Bob

Maybe Steve Knight planes?

See, I was so flustered, I couldn't even get the name right.
Bob
Bob I know. I have checked the price at least a dozen times on Amazon and 12 other sites. I did check the price on Amazon less than an hour before receiving the two emails. I ordered the Dado and the planer thinking carefully for at least two minutes before plunging ahead. Looks like I am in business. I had a Lamello and loved it. I am probably going for the PK or Dewalt Biscuit joiner.
Thanks guys. max

Biscuit joiner... I have the Dewalt, have used the PC and Lamello. I'd rate the Dewalt last and the Lamello best.
FYI, Dewalt does take first place in some categories for me but not for this tool.
BW

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 05:05:34 GMT, "Bob"

I will now as well... <G>
Barry

That Forrest dado set does not appear to be the Dado King set. I know that Forrest did sell a cheaper set and they may have been discontinued but their Best dado set is the Dado King. The 8" Dado King that sells for about $270.00 is DK081S. I doubt that the set you are getting is at half "regular" price. I don't mean to pop your bubble but if you are expecting the Dado King you might want to verify.

They've apparently changed the number to DK08244 and that's the one Amazon is selling for $149. It's apparently the same set that's selling for $249 and up elsewhere.
--
Hank Gillette

I find it odd though that Amazon does not list it as the Dado King.
max wrote:

After buying all my tools, who the hell can afford wood?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Heck, just cut down a tree nearest you.

Max -- I cannot see either of these prices and on the dw735 I've been shopping it for the past 2 weeks at Amazon, as well as at ebay, froogle, etc.
So, could you try something for us and report? Go back to Amazon and see if the same prices still come up for you. Based on some interesting pricing posts in the last 12 hours here at the wrec, one of two things happened (or maybe both): (1) Amazon had a substantial pricing database problem, and/or (2) they are using their special variable pricing model again. #2 involves offering different prices to different people even at the same time -- based on some algorithm they have. So, if you have bought tools before they may offer one price (higher) but if you have been shopping but not purchased before (or recently) you get a different price (lower).
TIA. -- Igor

Igor, the Dewalt is a different deal from a misprice. I logged on the site last night and it was marked as "So low we cannot publish the price" or something like that. You had to actually put it in your grocery cart and start the order process to see the low price. I did and it was exactly as Max reported. I was tempted to buy one just so I could resell it on ebay. He apparently got a fleeting short time great deal - kind of like the Jorgenson cabinet master sale last year at woodcraft. If you placed your order within a 15 nano-second window you got a big gloat.
Bob

That is exactly they way the Delta X5 deal was. I haven't heard a peep out of them since.
YO! We are supposed to be enjoying this!
There are plenty of influences in our lives that are killing us, this shouldn't be one of them.
(Unless, of course, you are a professional. If so, feel free to enjoy the stress.)

Ok, stop and take a deep breath. Every so often I get like that over BS on usenet too. Happened recently when the weather turned cold and I was spending too much time on the computer- and not enough time in the shop. You're right, this shouldn't be killing you- take a couple of days to ignore the computer entirely and do something else. I know I was getting all tied in knots for a bit thinking that none of my tools were adequate, and I was missing so many advanced woodworking techniques that I couldn't even make a passable pallet if I tried. But Lo and behold, when I went down to my shop to make a lathe stand (actually an oak entertainment center with my lathe bolted to the top) everything was ok again. Turns out all the tools were fine, the finish worked well, and nobody even gave a damn that I made it but me.
So go chop up some wood, and be happy!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam