You *can* sharpen drill bits by hand

Page 2 of 2

snip
Brad point drill bits are very much easier to sharpen than twist bits. When you buy some, take one of the larger ones, and with your grinder switched OFF, hold a bit onto the grinding wheel so that the wheel fits snugly into the angle between the spur and the point. You'll need to use the right hand side of the wheel, and the bit will point somewhere over your right shoulder. You will be able to feel when the bit settles into the correct position. Practice and let your body and arms learn the position. When you feel you're ready to go, you wont need to rotate the bit; once you've settled at the correct angle you just push the bit onto the rotating wheel. I don't buy brad bits anymore, I regrind twist bits so that I'm not fixed to the sizes obtainable in stores.
HTH