Yet another MDF thread

I know the general topic of MDF has been pretty much beaten into the ground (I think I've read just about every post on MDF in this forum and elsewhere and there is a wealth of info), but I was hoping to get lucky here. Due to sensitivities, I am desperately looking for no-formaldehyde MDF (or even low) in SE PA (or surrounding area/states). Specifically I am trying to find Medite II. I have tried the manufacturer and all they can tell me is who the distributors are. None of the distributors are anywhere close to my area and have no sellers even within a very large driving distance. Many of my attempts to work with local lumberyards in my area have been rebuffed with "MDF is MDF" and even a lot of "We don't control who's MDF we sell

- today we might sell X, next week Y"). So before I go hit the big box and just buy Temple Inland Northern Gold (HD) or standard GP (Lowes) any thoughts?

Reply to
dsnail

Fessenden-Hall (1-800-220-2233) carries a formaldehyde-free product called "Extira".

A square foot cost on less than ten sheets of 49 x 97 x 3/4 is $1.21 (compare this with regular MDF at $0.58 per sq ft) .

I don't think that Fessenden-Hall will sell to you directly, unless you have a cabinet shop but you can call them and see who they supply in your immediate area. Expect to pay more when buying this way.

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Be aware that Lowes does have a "special order" person somewhere in the store. I would check with him/her and find out if they have a source for Medite II ... (this person is normally in contractor sales)

It might require a minimum order and then again, it might not. Lowes folks(who know their job) have access to a god awful amount of building suppliers....

I assume Home Depot has similar arrangements...

snipped-for-privacy@email.com wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

You could buy the regular MDF and allow it to out-gas for several weeks in a garage or covered area outdoors. I'd think 6 weeks would be enough.

Reply to
Phisherman