Yet another cherry finish question -

Hello all -

I am an intermediate woodworker who is at the kitchen stage of my "fixer-upper." This is the part my wife has been chomping at the bit for... We went to a local tool shop here in Denver (ToolZone) just to browse planers, biscuit joiners, 14" bandsaws, jointers, etc this last weekend - Was kinda funny, she wanted me to buy the whole shop then and there! She didn't flinch at the 557 PC, or the DW735 planer, or even the Powermatic

54A... I may have more of a tool budget that I had hoped! (Drive by SWMBO gloat?)

Glad I got the Unisaw a few years back -

But to the point, eh? For months, I've been collecting and reading cabinet books - nearly the entire list gleaned from this group assembled by those wiser and more experienced. I don't find the actual case construction daunting - yes, perhaps the planning - but as my father says, "It's just a box!" (As an aside, will probably try to go plywood and solid wood as much as possible. Dunno - the thought of MDF and iron-on wood tape doesn't sit well with me... probably ignorance... Freely admitted!)

To make a short story longer - the wife and I have frequented every cabinet shop \ kitchen design showroom from here to Greeley. As of late, she's changed her mind from using hard maple w/ a light pickled wash (thank God!) - to cherry....

But - here's the 'crotch' of the matter - She says she wants cherry, but - um - she doesn't want cherry. She doesn't want the warm, deep reddish brown that she's seen in my other projects. That will make the kitchen "too red, and dark." She's seen that stained or fake "cinnamon cherry" - more of a brownish color - in the kitchen showrooms.

So using cherry in this kitchen concerns me - firstly, if the sun can't hit all the wood, won't it darken unevenly? And secondly - should I just use maple - and stain it with the color she likes? For my Fathers here have trained me as a child - "Staining Cherry is a sin."

Regards to all,

jbd in Broomfield, CO

Reply to
John Dykes

Keep the cherry--replace the wife.

Reply to
DarylRos

On 21 Nov 2003 18:00:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DarylRos) brought forth from the murky depths:

So have him pop it and they'll both be happy?

-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience --------------------------------------------

- Web Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In Theory there is more than one 'cherry'.

Reply to
Mark

Also, husbands have free will. In theory.

Reply to
DarylRos

We do have free will. We can do what they want, or we can live in a cardboard box and pay alimony. As long as there's choice, there's free will. :)

Reply to
Silvan