Yellow vs White glue

Page 3 of 3
On 10/2/10 5:57 AM, Upscale wrote:

Insert Freudian joke, here. :-)
In general, my first test is if I can see light through the bottle.
--

-MIKE-

;!)
If the glue starts to "gel" give it several quick whacks against a stationary object or with the palm of your hand. If it is still good it will instantly reliquify.
Leon wrote the following:

Do you mean that after I angrily threw the hardened TBII bottle across the shop against the wall, I could have used it instead of throwing it in the trash barrel? :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 10/1/10 4:16 PM, Leon wrote:

Thanks. I am very intrigued my this. My initial thought is that it's BS, but I'll be the first to gloat about it if it works.
--

-MIKE-

On 10/1/2010 4:41 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

As long as the glue isn't too far gone, it does indeed work. Franklin even outlines this procedure on the back of the TBIII bottle. Don't see it on my bottle of TBII though...
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

I called Frainklin to complain, they told me to do this, and by golly it worked. apparently this is a normal thing with these type glues. Mine was like pudding before the trick.
On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:03:23 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

White glue gives more open time, which if I recall correctly is why Frank Klauz uses it. Yellow glue is stronger, but white glue is strong enough for most uses. If you have good fitting joints white glue should still be stronger than the wood.

White glue has a longer open time, and use it for gluing up Windsor chairs. It's as strong as yellow glue.
Originally, yellow glue was formulated as a "carpenter's glue" that could be applied to moist wood on the job site.
Incidental trivia - I lifted this from milk.doc:
Elmers glue used to be made from casein, however, it is now made from a polymer, polyvinylacetate (PVA) since that polymer is more stable and has a long shelf storage life. Elmers blue gel glue is made from polyvinylalcohol.