Yellow vs White glue

Page 2 of 3
-MIKE- wrote:

That other poster would have been me... :) (altho there may have been another as well,...)
says...

The Gorilla glue that foams is polyurethane, not resorcinol.
The only resorcinol glue that is currently at all easily available in the US is Cascophen I believe (get it from Aircraft Spruce). Aerolite I am told can still be had in the UK but there doesn't seem to be a US distributer any longer. DAP seems to have discontinued the Weldwood product.

WHITE Gorilla Glue is not Polyurethane Gorilla Glue.

I use this stuff a lot. http://www.weldbond.com/cabinetmaking
For large lay-ups of laminate, Wilsonart 3000 is incredible. That stuff is insane.
I do like TBIII a lot too, I like the dark colour for those same reasons you stated.
I used Gorilla for an outdoor situation------> what a PITA!!! but it does stick, holy cow does it ever.
OK, let me restate, WHITE gorilla glue, works just like regular yellow eood glue except it is WHITE. Not a polyurethane glue.

You use a water-soluble bonding agent for laminate? Amazing! I had trouble with the waterborne rubber cement and love the solvent-based stuff.

I haven't tried TBIII yet. TBII and Elmer's Carpenter's are working fine for me. I let an unopened jug of Gorilla poly harden on me, and lost my very first gallon of TBII. I buy quarts now. Live and learn.
-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

How did your gallon of TBII go bad? I once thought my TB III had gone bad, all 3 quarts bottles, Franklin gave me a cure.

It sat on the shelf for a few years and dried up. The last use, I recall it being fairly thick. Jello, eat your heart out.
Those were the Bow Saur Years, Leon. <titter>
-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

It was probably old and bad, but in the future if the glue starts to "gel" give it several quick whacks against a stationary object or with the palm of your hand. If it is still good it will instantly reliquify.
On 10/1/10 7:04 AM, Leon wrote:

Really? That's all you're going to say.
--

-MIKE-

What? You don't know?
On 10/1/10 3:50 PM, Robatoy wrote:

If we ever meet, remind me to give you a good twap on the head. Then, we'll get a beer.
--

-MIKE-

LOL... that's how I made most of my friends.
I heard that all you had to do was smack it onto your work bench. The shock supposedly fixes the glue. I am not kidding, that's what was posted here some time ago. . . . . Somebody help a guy out here!!!!
On 10/1/10 4:01 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Interesting. I wonder if that's the same for freeze. I've had plenty a bottle spend a few weeks below freezing and I've always heard that's pretty bad for it.
Anyone ever get that dark yellow oily stuff on the top of a bottle that's sat for a long, long, time?
--

-MIKE-

On 10/1/2010 4:39 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Giving a good shake generally solves that problem, But ....
Don't know about you, even the slighted suspicion that a glue is dicey is enough to send me packing to buy some that's fresh.
Usually have too much work, time and materials in my projects to take a chance for the piddling price.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 10/1/10 5:28 PM, Swingman wrote:

I'm in that boat with you. But I had to get some in a hurry, last time, and the only bottle (1gal) on the shelf was Elmer's Carpenters and it had about a 1/2 cup floating on top. I shook it to death and haven;t had any probs.
--

-MIKE-

...which leaves me wonder if a twap on the head is a fair trade for a beer......okay, what kinda beer?
On 10/1/10 6:29 PM, Robatoy wrote:

If that's all it took to get a beer, I'd never have to pay. :-)
Right now, I'm particularly fond of Left Hand Milk Stout.
--

-MIKE-

It takes a very secure man to put anything with a name like that to his lips.... or maybe I have I have opened too many wrong windows in my browser leading to Amsterdam.
On 10/1/10 10:00 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I was laughing as I typed the name of that beer. Too....many...jokes. :-) You think that one takes someone secure in his manhood, check out my other favorite... "Deschutes Black Butte Porter"
--

-MIKE-

With names like that, I'd hazard a guess you've tried those beers initially only because they had names like that. :)