Yellow vs White glue

Page 1 of 3
I was in Frank Klauz's shop a few weeks ago and he was using elmers glue.
I have been using titebond yellow, sometimes an elmers dark glue,
I know this is a matter of opinion, but figured I would like to hear the pros and cons of each.... White PVA vs Yellow Aliphatic.
tiredofspam wrote:

PVA creeps more than yellow, is thermoplastic; i.e, can be softened with heat which is very handy because you can iron on edging strips. When mixed with sawdust - or put into a slightly less than perfect joint and sanded over - it makes a decent filler.
I use both. Type 2 yellow for gluing stuff together forever.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

Some white glues are acutally wood glue. Elmers white glue is not necessarily a wood glue.
Gorilla makes a White wood glue.
I use the glue that most closely matches the wood color. Light woods, white glue, dries clear. Light brown TBII , medium brown, TBIII, dark woods, dark glue.

I use this stuff a lot. http://www.weldbond.com/cabinetmaking
For large lay-ups of laminate, Wilsonart 3000 is incredible. That stuff is insane.
I do like TBIII a lot too, I like the dark colour for those same reasons you stated.
I used Gorilla for an outdoor situation------> what a PITA!!! but it does stick, holy cow does it ever.
Robatoy wrote: ...

The comparative tests I've seen all have the resorcinal (Gorilla foaming) results behind the yellow glue...
They're only advantage imo is the one-part waterproof where it's actually needed; otherwise the pita factor is far too high as you say...
Marketing can do wonders... :)
dpb wrote:

Unless things have changed, Gorilla glue isn't resorcinol, its polyurethane, not even close to resorcinol.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Yes Things have changed.
Gorilla is a BRAND name not a type of glue.
http://www.gorillaglue.com/glues.aspx
Leon wrote:

Also true but only relatively recently has there been anything but the _polyurethane_ foaming over-advertised stuff available under the Gorilla banner...

I have been using and mentioning the WHITE Gorilla glue for almost 3 years.... Not too new for those that frequent woodworking stores and the Borgs.
Leon wrote:

So which one is resorcinol?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

White Gorilla glue is not necessarily polyurethane as you stated above.
@swbell.dotnet says...

But is white Gorilla glue any different in function than Elmer's Glue- All?

If you want to pick nits,,,, Gorilla White Wood Glue is designed to glue wood. I highly suspect that you could also use it add glitter to your costume, glue pictures in an album, or glue together pieces of colored construction paper to make a paper chain. I also highly suspect that the Gorilla White Wood glue has a higher bond strength when used with wood than the Elmers Glue ALL product would.
http://gorillaglue.com/glues/woodglue/index.aspx
I would not necessirily want to use Elmers Glue All to put together an expensive piece of furniture enen though it includes wood as a material that it will glue. It is more of a CRAFT glue that is suited for all around projects including paper, wood, fabric, leather, and ceramics.
http://www.elmers.com/product/detail/E1322
I would me more inclined to use an Elmer's Wood glue specificially suited for woodworking. I have used both of those referenced below.
http://www.elmers.com/product/detail/P9724?filterPath=hardware or http://www.elmers.com/product/detail/E701
However the reason I prefer to use the White Gorila wood Glue is that it dries clear.
@swbell.dotnet says...

So do you have test results of any kind that show a difference, or do you just buy into Gorilla's hype?
I gave my reasons and if you had any other reason to be here other than to argue I suspect you would not be asking this question. Cute how you came back under a new name so every one would see you again.
Plonk again.

Gorilla glue that dries white is polyurethane based.... but... is that the same as their white glue? Don't know.

Gorilla glue that dries white is polyurethane based.... but... is that the same as their white glue? Don't know.
White Gorilla wood glue dries clear. For sure.
On 9/30/2010 2:11 PM, dadiOH wrote:

None are. Resorcinol glue is typically marketed as a boat-builder's glue and not as a woodworking product. Not so much because of its adhesive qualities (it's _incredibly_ strong, waterproof, and solvent resistant) but because it has a deep rich burgundy color with a very obvious glue line. It can also be a bit brittle, as I recall.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
dadiOH wrote:

True, finger-slip...
Anyway, the _polyurethanes_ fared lower than the PVAs in the testing results I've seen...
On 9/30/10 1:26 PM, dpb wrote:

That's true. They are NOT strong, they are water resistant. Like another poster wrote, marketing is everything.
--

-MIKE-