Yellow glue - Lee Valley ? $$$$!

I was getting an order together for Lee Valley today and saw that they sell "Lee Valley Cabinetmaker's Glue 2002 GF" for approximately $50 a gallon. Am I missing something, or does this seem really, really expensive? Even Titebond III only goes for around $30 a gal. Maybe someone who has used it can let me know if it's worth it. Thanks.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Last gallon of Titebond II I bought was about 6 months ago and the price was about $20/Gal.

I bitched like mad since 6-8 month earlier the price was about $12-$14, but I still bought it

Before I paid $50/gal for wood glue, think I'd use epoxy and micro-balloons.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It's a PVA instead of an aliphatic glue w/ a very high viscosity and relatively long open time. For applications where that were important it might be worth it, but I'd think Type III would cover most of that. I didn't look, but might compare it to the specialty trim "no-sag" or "trim" but still more expensive by quite a bit I think.

--

Reply to
dpb

In the sizes that LV stocks titebondIII, it's more expensive than the LV glue.

Around here (SK, Canada) I haven't been able to find gallon containers of titebondIII, and 1qt containers go for $18.

$30 gets you a gallon of Elmers. Name brand stuff is quite a bit more.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Try this:

Max

At the moment, Rockler has TB III quarts for $6.99 US.

Reply to
Leon

doesn't carry anything but books/movies/music/software.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

What??! Sure they do! I've ordered any number of things from them that aren't available on amazon.ca. Never had an issue with it.

Colin

Reply to
Colin B.

As I mentioned, I'm in Canada.

Rockler doesn't have international shipping listed on its website, but Woodcraft wants $28 to ship a gallon of glue to me. At that price it's more expensive than the LV stuff.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Looks like it depends on the item. I tried buying the glue, and got:

"We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination."

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Don't know what their shipping outside US is, but might try Woodworker's Supply

-- they're good to deal with and as reasonable as anybody price-wise.

I'm surprised there isn't easily accessible local supply for items as ordinary as glue???

--

Reply to
dpb

maybe because of the temps. try again in the summer.

Reply to
charlie

Oh I can get basic no-name stuff, but I haven't found a local source for TitebondIII by the gallon. And as the OP mentioned, the LV glue is $50/gallon.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

So am I, although frankly it's not much easier to find stuff local to Calgary via the web.

Chris, I see that Windsor Plywood has Titebond (I, II, and III) in four-litre jugs on their website. No price listed, though. Also, try giving Black Forest Wood

a call. They're located in Calgary, and may well have the stuff at a decent price. Friendly bunch, great wood, although their website...isn't the greatest.

Colin

Reply to
Colin B.

Hmmm...any cabinet shops or commercial ww'ers that could find where they purchase supplies?

Two more goodun's to deal with--again I don't know about shipping policies to the frozen north... :)

Klingspor --

Woodworker's Hardware --

The latter is in Sauk Rapids, MN, at least up that general direction altho you could be west, not east or central of course. It might be they're in closer proximity altho it's probably not distance that's controlling shipping, anyway...

--

Reply to
dpb

Try my friends in London, ON

Robatoy

Reply to
Robatoy

How about this?

Next time I'm @ Coastal Tool (this week), I'll check the gallon price.

After that, I'll check retail shipping rates. If it all works for you, I, as one 'wrecker to another, will ship you a gallon. You can mail me a check for the actual total cost when it arrives in Canukistan.

Coastal doesn't list the glue on the web, but that's where I buy mine.

My "real" email address is barry at bburke.com

**
**

B A R R Y

Actually $48 US for 4 liters (135 ounces).

Compared to TB II and TB III it is more expensive, but I like working with the LV glue better. Is it 100% better? I'd have to think about that. I don't buy a gallon at a time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Have you tried Lowes? They have stores in Canada and do mail order as well, so should be a different situation from Woodcraft.

Reply to
J. Clarke