Yellow glue - Lee Valley ? $$$$!

Page 1 of 2
I was getting an order together for Lee Valley today and saw that they sell "Lee Valley Cabinetmaker's Glue 2002 GF" for approximately $50 a gallon. Am I missing something, or does this seem really, really expensive? Even Titebond III only goes for around $30 a gal. Maybe someone who has used it can let me know if it's worth it. Thanks.
JP
"Jay Pique" wrote:

SFWIW.
Last gallon of Titebond II I bought was about 6 months ago and the price was about $20/Gal.
I bitched like mad since 6-8 month earlier the price was about $12-$14, but I still bought it
Before I paid $50/gal for wood glue, think I'd use epoxy and micro-balloons.
Lew
Jay Pique wrote:

It's a PVA instead of an aliphatic glue w/ a very high viscosity and relatively long open time. For applications where that were important it might be worth it, but I'd think Type III would cover most of that. I didn't look, but might compare it to the specialty trim "no-sag" or "trim" but still more expensive by quite a bit I think.
Jay Pique wrote:

In the sizes that LV stocks titebondIII, it's more expensive than the LV glue.
Around here (SK, Canada) I haven't been able to find gallon containers of titebondIII, and 1qt containers go for $18.
$30 gets you a gallon of Elmers. Name brand stuff is quite a bit more.
Chris

Try this: http://tinyurl.com/5s82un
Max
Max wrote:

Unfortunately, Amazon.com refuses to ship to Canada, and Amazon.ca doesn't carry anything but books/movies/music/software.
Chris

What??! Sure they do! I've ordered any number of things from them that aren't available on amazon.ca. Never had an issue with it.
Colin
Colin B. wrote:

Looks like it depends on the item. I tried buying the glue, and got:
"We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination."
Chris

maybe because of the temps. try again in the summer.

At the moment, Rockler has TB III quarts for $6.99 US.
Leon wrote:

As I mentioned, I'm in Canada.
Rockler doesn't have international shipping listed on its website, but Woodcraft wants $28 to ship a gallon of glue to me. At that price it's more expensive than the LV stuff.
Chris
Chris Friesen wrote:

Don't know what their shipping outside US is, but might try Woodworker's Supply (www.woodworker.com) -- they're good to deal with and as reasonable as anybody price-wise.
I'm surprised there isn't easily accessible local supply for items as ordinary as glue???
dpb wrote:

Oh I can get basic no-name stuff, but I haven't found a local source for TitebondIII by the gallon. And as the OP mentioned, the LV glue is $50/gallon.
Chris
Chris Friesen wrote:

Hmmm...any cabinet shops or commercial ww'ers that could find where they purchase supplies?
Two more goodun's to deal with--again I don't know about shipping policies to the frozen north... :)
Klingspor -- www.woodworkingshop.com
Woodworker's Hardware -- www.woodworkershardware.com
The latter is in Sauk Rapids, MN, at least up that general direction altho you could be west, not east or central of course. It might be they're in closer proximity altho it's probably not distance that's controlling shipping, anyway...
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:33:07 -0600, Chris Friesen

How about this?
Next time I'm @ Coastal Tool (this week), I'll check the gallon price.
After that, I'll check retail shipping rates. If it all works for you, I, as one 'wrecker to another, will ship you a gallon. You can mail me a check for the actual total cost when it arrives in Canukistan.
Coastal doesn't list the glue on the web, but that's where I buy mine.
My "real" email address is barry at bburke.com
B A R R Y wrote:

Now THERE is a generous offer. Part of the reason I come here.
--

Tanus

This is not really a sig
B A R R Y wrote:

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.
I did some calling around to local suppliers. Found one place where after some discussion between their employees they determined that they didn't stock it in gallons, but they could get it from their wholesaler.
Since their wholesaler was fairly close by, they just gave me the receipt and sent me over there.
Total amount for 1 gallon of TBIII, $39 and tax. Probably about as good a deal as I'm going to get around here.
Chris
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:03:27 -0600, Chris Friesen

Probably, as it would cost at least $12 for me to ship you a gallon.
Fri, Apr 11, 2008, 2:33pm (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@mail.usask.ca (ChrisFriesen) doth sayeth: Oh I can get basic no-name stuff, but I haven't found a local source for TitebondIII by the gallon. <snip>
If it was me, I'd start by using my phone book, and call stores in my area, to see what they could do - if they sell it, bet they can order larger bottles if they don't normally carry them - that's always been my experience - that's how I'm getting the duplex nails in the size I need from the local Ace, the ones they stock are waay too large. If that didn't work, I'd call the Titebond people, 1-800-347-4583 - it's on the label on the back of every bottle. Hell, they might even be willing to sell direct, and ship it to yout. Never know unless you ask.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
"J T" wrote:

my area, to see what they could do - if they sell it, bet they can order larger bottles if they don't normally carry them - that's always been my experience - that's how I'm getting the duplex nails in the size I need from the local Ace, the ones they stock are waay too large. If that didn't work, I'd call the Titebond people, 1-800-347-4583 - it's on the label on the back of every bottle. Hell, they might even be willing to sell direct, and ship it to yout. Never know unless you ask.
Good grief, you mean to actually get away from the puter screen and read a book, abet the phone book to do some basic research?
In this day and age, that's about the same as asking a 2 year old to give up their pacifier.
Lew