Yave you done this yet?

Silvan asks:

Not exactly "What they were thinking," but the spot on the technological history line that was probable at the time---disk brakes weren't available, power steering, IIRC, was but was pricey as hell, and hey weren't really that bad to drive...in a straight line.

Performance. Plain tire squealing performance. Today, they've added handling and stopping power and are getting similar speed from much smaller engines (mechanical fuel injection was available on the engine I got, but it added about $425 extra to the under 3K price; almost everything on the market today has EF and dual overhead cams instead of Duntov's 3/4 race single cam in the block...but that small block Chev is still made today, and is probably the single most popular engine ever designed).>Everything is relative though.

It kind of works that way. My mother bought her retirement home in Huddleson for $11,500 in '78. Try to find ANY kind of home for $11,500 in Bedford County today.

Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,

2000
Reply to
Charlie Self

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:47:08 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan spake:

Now we know the source of the word "shabby", Silvie. ('Taint shabby chic, neither.)

---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. --------------------------------------

Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've got lots of stuff in the woods across from my house because of the many gaskets I've blown from situations like that. Satellite dish, weed trimmer, rake, cell phone, cordless mouse, ad infinitum....

Reply to
Brian

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 05:53:59 -0800, the inscrutable Larry Jaques spake:

ADDENDUM: This just in from a friend. I thought it very apropos for you.

return Stewardess to her original upright position. --------------------------------------
Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

As long as you didn't need to stop. Stopping was a real problem for those things. First I almost ran a stop sign, then I looked at the master cylinder and scratched my head. Yoiks.

Maybe all drum brake systems need less fluid than drum/disc or disc/disc come to think of it, but it sure wasn't very reassuring to look at.

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
Silvan

... snip

But look at what wages were back then as well compared to now. Entry level engineers are making better than twice what entry level engineers were making in the late '70s and '80s; I'm sure that other careers are equivalently changed as well.

Mark & Juanita

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Patriarch

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Knew a guy who had a 68 Plymouth Barracuda with 426 Max Wedge and a 4 speed. That sucker would flat haul a**! Only problem was that it had

8" drum brakes on the front and 6" drums on the rear. You could literally stop it faster with engine compression than with the brakes.

Handled pretty good on the curves though.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

With brakes like that, it had to. :-)

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

Mark & Juanita

A friend of mine in high school had a '67 Hemicuda. He ultimately destroyed it getting T-boned by an '87 Monte Carlo.

It put his head through the window and banged him up good, but I still cry more for the poor 'Cuda than my friend's thick skull. Dumbass. What a car. :(

Reply to
Silvan

Stop, stop! You're making me cry! I've always lusted after a Hemi Cuda. Love those old Mopars!

I've had some friends like that...

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass