X5 vs Industrial

I've been shopping for a Unisaw and can't seem to find out all the differences between the new X5 saws and the Industrial (original version I guess ?) version. Has this been discussed somewhere ? I'm looking for a Left tilt, 3HP, 30" biesmeyer, but there are so many versions it's getting a little confusing ! Advice ?
thanks
jim b
Dear Jim,

X5 is a program, not new machines. Same shit, different colour, different accessories.
Thanks,
David.
Jim, Definitely DAGS (do a Google search)as this topic has been thrashed quite deeply recently. Late last year I was looking for a Uni also, Amazon offered the best price. But they sold out of the limited edition models just before I was going to order one. The X5 is the exact same machine, most likely built in Chaiwan now. Since Amazon only offered the X5 at a higher price, I continued looking around. At the local WWing show in Oct, I found a local Delta dist who still had a few LE's at a great price. I got an LE left tilt, 50" biesemeyer with a Delta mobile base for a notch over $1500 after tax. They threw in delivery and a sweet little 2HP Porter Cable compressor for free. I made a platform that mounts on top of the mobile base and put the compressor and accessories there. I'm very satisfied with everything. Last but not least, the saw is made in the US.
                        Hope this helps,                         Mark
Jim Bailey wrote:

That deal ($1549.00 shipped) is still available at Woodworkers Supply: https://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?forcelogin=1&PARTNUM6-841
I purchased one right before thanksgiving. Wiring the garage for it today...
-Mike

getting a

Mark wrote:

I don't think this is quite true quite right now. I suspect when the Delta Chiwanese cabinet saws make their way to the lower forty eight they'll be the same ones as being peddled in Kanada right now. My guess is at that moment in history they won't be selling the Unisaw anymore made in the USA or not.
This of course will be the sign of the apocalypse. Wait, the sign of the apocalypse was the evil Dr. Cheney surviving long enough to become president.
Let me get back with you on this.
UA100
Damn shame. If US corporations want to use that cheap overseas labor, why can't we see any price difference? But that's too far OT for now.
At least the miter slots in my Uni are damn accurate. I'm building some crosscut sleds and the slot widths are .751" in each slot. I am using 3/4 x 3/8 stock for the runners and they are a perfect fit. More on that later.
I was told by a Delta rep that the X5 line was entirely assembled in Asia, maybe he wasn't quite accurate. Regardless where they come from, I still have a fair amount of satisfaction in Delta. Let's see how long it lasts........            Mark
Unisaw A100 wrote:

You must not own a Delta bandsaw, then. :)
dave
dave
Mark wrote:

I've heard you had a 'little' problem re a Delta BS. Missed that thread though.....
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Isn't the X5 in Canada the same as the one in the USA? I bought one in Canada and it says "Made in USA" on it. Regards. -Guy
Guy LaRochelle wrote:

The Unisaw in Kanada is the same as the Unisaw in the US. Delta does have some Chiwanese machine they are peddling to the Kanadians onna 'count of once everyone looks at the Unisaw and looks at the General 350 they end up picking the General onna 'count of there's only a couple few dollars difference in price.
Given the fit, finish and design of the General you'd have to be suffering from Mad Cow to make any other decision.
UA100
the unisaw, X5 or Limited Edition are still built in the USA john
Well, I must have Mad Cow.............because I looked at both before buying the Unisaw and I couldn't see why I should spend an extra $400 Canadian to own a General. My buddy has a General 350 that I had a chance to look at quite a bit and I don't see where there is a better fit & finish on the General. One thing I did notice is the mechanism inside for tilting the saw seemed to be a little heavier on the General............but has that been a problem on the Delta? Regards. -Guy

Guy LaRochelle wrote:

$400 is a significant savings and I can't/won't argue your decision. $400 buys a lot of table saw infrastructure items.

That's where the $400 comes in. Another reason I like the General is the motor mount. The General isn't a proprietary mount.

Over the years the Unisaw has been "value engineered" down but it's hard to argue that it isn't essentially the same saw as was introduced in 1939. The newer saws come with a blow molded motor cover that can be handy if the down spout on your house (pronounced with a long O) needs a new spillway.
The General on the other hand is closer to being what it always was, i.e., the castings are as they have always been, no, or little, "value engineering".
In the end, I can't think of any cabinet saw being sold that wouldn't be a worthwhile investment for the typical hobbyist wooddorker. If I had a need for a cabinet saw and I was buying new I'd pony up to the General.

Regards, Another Guy
Infrastructure items?? would that be "accessories", by any chance, Keith? :)
dave