WWJ latest scam - DVD club

I stopped my subscription to WWJ about 4 years ago when they sent me a 'free' book with the promise of more to come 'at a special price'.

Fast forward to yesterday and I got a 'free' DVD. Same ole scam 'if you like it, keep it...'.

I guess there must be a lot of people who fall for this or companies wouldn't keep doing it.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

If you didn't order it, you may keep it, and you're under no obligation to pay for it. Under postal service regulations, it's a gift.

So true.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I got one of those disks a while back, looked at it and lost it, Now they are sending letters wanting the disk or payment. They will get neither.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

It's a Jewish/Christian/Hoser Cabal plot.

Reply to
dse

Reply to
Paul Fisher

Now you have my interest. My normal warehouse fee for finished products is $50 per day starting 5 days after notification that the product is ready for pick up. This is stated on the wall in an obvious location for all to see when they walk into my place of business. ( only had to charge it once in 11 years and that was for a $60 dollar item they left for 90 days ) I've had this disk for about 130 days, That comes to $6,500, do you think they would agree to that? Or is there a set fee I can charge? I found the disk by the way.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

You have no obligation whatsoever to return it if you didn't request it in the first place. It's yours, it's a gift, tell them so if you get any calls, then demand they stop harassing you.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

They say as much in the collateral that accompanied the disk. However, they also lay on a subtle guilt-trip.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

If you want to have some fun, create an alias when you sign up for something free and wait for the fun to begin.

See how long and how many times your alias name gets sold by counting how many "junk mail" type offers get sent to it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

What's sad is that back in the 80's, the WWJ was a great publication. I have

2 or 3 years of their publication and their issues were great!
Reply to
Lowell Holmes

They can lay on anything they want so long as you don't fall for it. They sent you something you didn't ask for, keep it and hang up on them.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I keep doing this, but surprisingly those e-mail accounts get virtually no spam. Likewise this e-mail that I post under here, which is valid and un-munged and has been in use for almost 7 years only gets 3-4 a day. I'm not sure what the biggest sources for spam are. My wife gets about 100 a day, but she signs up for lot of subscription web sites for teacher stuff. I only sign up for sites where I am going to be doing business with them. The one address that gets a lot of spam is the one that has been posted on *my* web site. Even using a script that is supposed to hide it from bots it still picked up a couple hundred a day shortly after I put it up there.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

#1 Publishing your email on a web page. #2 Publishing your email on USENET.

I'm not sure about #2, since Google started munging email addresses. Perhaps #2 was really goole allowing web snarfing of emails.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

If you have a domain name, you can use custom email addresses to see who's selling you email address to spam lists.

Let's say your domain is IMakeStuffOutOfWood.com... and you subscribe to woodtalkmagazine.com's forum. You use snipped-for-privacy@IMakeStuffOutOfWood.com for the email address.

Or you sign up for a raffle at wood magazine, you use snipped-for-privacy@IMakeStuffOutOfWood.com

When you start getting spam to one of those addresses, you know why.

Reply to
-MIKE-

That's what I have done, and why I said the biggest source of spam comes from email harvesting on the web.

Occasionally I get spam from a vendor, and usually when I let them know, they have no idea how the address leaked from their web site. But the #1 place they get emails is on web sites. It's trivial to write a spider that searches for such things - like 40 lines of perl code.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

That's why I have over 60 e-mail addresses.

Still, I think the only place you really get harvested is when it shows up on a web site.

I suspect that Usenet may, at one time, have been a source, although I've been using un-munged addresses on Usenet for 20 years or more and have never had any great amount on those addresses.

Tim Douglass

of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex.

Reply to
Tim Douglass

I have hundreds, plus several hundred tagged USENET addresses.

I was getting 200+ a day on my work-based 20-year-old address. I'm still getting 70 a day on that machine.

I also run my own mail server at home, so I know what is being attempted. YOU may not be noticing anything because your ISP is blocking spam. Filters have also improved. My server was getting

20,000 spam attempts per hour, and is successfully blocking/denying 99.999% of them.

One rule is - addresses NEVER stop being used. Once it's in the spammer's list, it will ALWAYS be in the spammer's list.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol