WWJ... feeling somehow cheated

I recently resubscribed to Woodworker's Journal. I dropped it a couple years ago, I was getting too many mags and was having trouble finding shop time. They finally made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I signed up again. Besides, I have had success with a couple of their plans.

Today's mail brought the April, 2009 issue. I was pleased to see the cover photo showed the new Unisaw, with the headline "ALL-AMERICAN TABLE SAW At last you can buy a U.S.-made table saw again! We give the new Unisaw a test run (page 19)."

Now I have a nearly new Jet, and no intent to buy a new saw, but I've found the new model Unisaw interesting since it was announced last year, and I was expecting a detailed review of the Unisaw, what works, what does not, etc.

I flip right to page 19 and find...

An AD?

A freakin' fold out AD is the cover story??

Yep. Page 19 is a fold out Delta ad wrapped around a description of four rabbet joints. The entire "test run" was described in the subtitle, two sentences: "We were pleased to have the chance to put a pre-production version of Delta's new Unisaw through its paces. The first American-built table saw in some years, it performed with flying colors in our author's wood shop." The rest of the "article" (six whole paragraphs!) was a generic method of creating rabbets with a table saw. Within the actual article there was NO mention of the Unisaw. The accompanying photos could have been made with any saw, though on two you might see the riving knife if you look closely.

If all that "America's leading woodworking authority" can find to say about the Unisaw is that it can cut rabbets with "flying colors", I think it will be easy to let this subscription lapse next time. Oh, wait. They never SAID the Unisaw could cut rabbets. They didn't say it could cut anything, only that it was pacing around the shop. Maybe it vibrates a lot?

If you see this one on the newsstand, I'd suggest you leave it there. And don't be enticed by the "BONUS Innovator's Tool Catalog" which is also splashed on the cover. That little gem is an eight page Rockler ad.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

We all know that advertising pays for the magazine, but I thought that much too blatant a ruse for the cover. Have they no shame? When you run ads as the cover story you have to wonder about any "test" results in any product reviews. I feel they have lost all integrity in that respect.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I saw that issue on the newsstand and flipped through it briefly. I figured I must have missed the actual article, but didn't have time to go back and look for it.

Pretty sad.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Aside from warning some potential subscribers, it doesn't do to much good to rant about it here. A letter to the publisher while unlikely to produce any tangible results might possibly get a subscription refund. At the very least, it lets one direct some anger at the ones responsible.

I purchased some Paulin wall anchors not too long ago. Out of 8 wall anchors, five of them failed when trying to tighten them down as per the instructions for usage. I mailed them the packages, the failed parts and a really nasty letter to the company telling them what I thought of their product, that I didn't want a refund or a reply and that I'd never use any of their products again.

*That* made me feel better.
Reply to
Upscale

You should send this as a letter to the editor. Maybe you can shame them into doing a better job in the future. Most of them really are dedicated to their work. I wouldn't doubt this was foisted on them by the publisher and sales staff or maybe it is part of a cost cutting measure and they have dumped the editors all together in favor of letting the advertsisers provide all the content.

Honestly, the editors might be able to use your letter as proof that the buying public isn't stupid and maybe give them some ammo to push on their management for better behavior.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Hummm.. what is wrong with that magazine. There are American built table saws other than Delta, I wonder what Northfield Foundry has to say about that.

cheap but maybe thay are talking about machinery that most any one can afford.

Reply to
Leon

I subscribed to WWJ back in the 80's. When I became more energized in wood working after a long lay-off, I subscribed again. I found their articles to be a shadow of what they used to be. I dropped it after a year. Doesn't Rockler own it now?

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Thank you for the heads up - the subscription form b the computer can now go directly to the recycle bin.

John

Reply to
news

Gee thanks, they charged my CC on Monday for a subscription.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

I thought Rockler owned it too. That is why I dropped it. Better mags out there that aren't a front for a retailer.

Reply to
Dave - Parkville, MD

I noticed the same thing. I really thought I had just missed the article. Putting together a plywood box held together with brads didn't really seem like they were putting the latest Unisaw thru its paces.

BTW, the latest FWW came with a "wrapper" that looked just like a normal FWW cover, except it had a Jet advert as the cover photo. Until I realized it was just a wrapper, it made me think FWW had sold out too.

Reply to
barker7

The issue is sitting in front of me now - second issue of a 1-year sub to see if I like it. One more thing like this and I won't renew. I'm just a novice DIY, and while I learned a bit about the various joints, there's no connection between the blurb on the cover and the "article" inside...

Matt

Reply to
Matt Furze

This is the reply I received this morning. Seems they need someone that can check on things working there

The information that got mistakenly left out of the magazine at the last minute was a notice to look on the "More on the Web" section of our website for the 11-minute video which is a comprehensive overview of the saw, as promised on the cover. You can find that video by clicking on the "More on the Web" tab of

or by going to

That notice was supposed to be in the magazine in at least two places, and got left out both places, which was an error.

Sincerely, Joanna Takes Senior Editor

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That makes a lot of sense, "Buy the magazine so you can read the articles on the web."???

Reply to
Nova

Pixels and bytes cost a lot less than paper, printing and postage.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I wonder how long people will be willing to pay $25.00 per year for a subscription to a web index?

Reply to
Nova

It is happening now. I just got a PC e-zine and it is totally unreadable. I tried several times and was never able to get by page seven. They have a new "reader" that does not allow you to read the magazine. I wonder who made that brilliant biz/software decision.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Personally, that wouldn't do a thing for me, as far as "forgiving" a magazine.. An ad with a note to go to a web site is NOT the same as reading the review in a magazine.. IMO, If I want to see a web vid, why subscribe to a magazine?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

That is an annoying trend in the media. Earth to publishers, if I wanted to watch a damned video I'd turn on the the TV.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The Hartford Courant has shrunk its pages and is putting more on hte web. I'm considering dropping the paper too as there is less and less to read.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski