WWJ Book Club

WWJ just lost a subscriber. Anyone else get a 'free' book from them with the promise of more to come for the low price of...
Even if the books are worth reading, the fact that they signed me up for automatic delivery is enough for me to drop them.
Ray wrote:

Yes, this has happened to many people.
You are under no obligation to pay for unsolicited merchandise.
Complain to WWJ if you wish, but in any case, you are well within your rights to keep any merchandise which you did not request.

I signed up from Canada and I didn't have to buy *any* more books than the introduction offer. Apparently it's too expensive to send the book of the month and have it sent back to them :-)
Canadians, take your chance. 4 books for very little money.
--
mare

If you look at the fine print it says that they will send out the book of the month every 4 - 6 weeks. If you want it do nothing and if you don't want it just send back the card. So you are liable for it.
IMHO I think this sucks.
message wrote:

buuba said:

Not unless you specifically requested to join. They can't unilaterally sign you up. You are free to keep unrequested merchandise.

Your opinion notwithstanding, it is fairly typical "negative-option buying".
Gus

Every book club and record club operates the same way. They depend on you not sending the card back and then keeping the book or album.

The last several mailings specifically indicated that, since this was unsolicited, you were under no obligation to do anything - return the book, pay a bill, communicate your opt-out, anything.
An unintended consequence of this marketing campaign is that at least one subscriber is letting their subscriotion lapse when it runs out. There is more than sufficient junk mail arriving here already. The publications may be safely ignored, IMO.
Patriarch

And I just wrote that they don't do that if you are located in Canada. The postage (and return postage) is just too expensive.

--
mare ()

Mare,
Where did you sign up for this? I've been over a couple of my more recent issues of the WWJ, and haven't found a link for the book club. I've also been over the website and Google, with no luck. Any help appreciated, from one Canuck to another...
Clint
message wrote:

That would be <http://www.woodworkersbookclub.com
--
mare

I found that one, but that's actually linked from Popular Woodworking, not WWJ. Thanks for the link, though. I'll check them out.
Clint
message wrote:

Oops, you're right. Anyway, this is the one I signed up for and the one that doesn't send book-of-the-month's to me. So I got 4 books for US $ 10. And that was it.
I didn't knew WWJ also had a book club, and can't tell if they do the same to Canucks.
--
mare