WWII came in 2nd

Hey everyone,
I have had some surprising results on my Brazilian Cherry flooring ripping project. I went to my local Woodcraft in Peoria and laid down about $100 and got a WWII 30T blade. I then went home and I started ripping the flooring. It went really well for about 3 or 4 boards. On the fifth it started smoking and burning the board. I took it off and checked for build up but didn't find any. I was a bit tired and decided to call it a day.
The next day I went over to my inlaws to continue working on their home. I had to run over to the Woodworking Shop to get a piece of Brazilian Cherry for the transition into the great room. While I was there I asked about getting the WWII sharpened. Jason wanted to know what had dulled it up. I told him about my project. He suggested that I give the Freud Glue Line Rip Blade a try.
The next morning I was able to rip my entire stack of 30 or so boards with the Freud Glue Line Rip blade without a trace of smoke. The cuts are are all glass smooth. I was able to push the wood thru with less effort. And it cost $40 less.
Chef
BTW I posted pictures of the floor on the alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
I'm not surprised. My WWII 40 tooth combination blade burns a lot. Have been talking to Bob Vandyke, who runs the CT Valley School of WW'ing, and he too is of the opinion that the WWII is not the best blade for general work. I'm seriously thinking of selling mine and going to something else.
-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)
Remove "no" to reply

that you want to sell the WW11 aand buy something else...
Key word is SELL.... just take the darn thing off the saw and replace it with the blade of your choice...why go to the bother of SELLING it... just sounds "cheap"
Bob Griffiths

Try another cup of coffee. After all, who are you to tell someone what they can or can't do with their money and property? (Unless this is Hillary Clinton's alias...)
You are absolutely right! I am cheap.
We all have our own likes and dislikes. Just because I don't like the WWII doesn't mean everybody feels the same way. There just might be a fellow ww'er out there who can't afford a new WWII, but, might be able to afford my used one.
By your thinking I should take it off of my saw and replace it. Then let it sit on the shelf to rust? Seems like a damn waste of a tool to me.
-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)
Remove "no" to reply

It's a $100+ blade, not some $7 framing blade for a circular saw.
I'd sell it as well if I wasn't planning on using it.
Barry
in message http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

You demonstrate true woodworker's problem solving abilities!
Barry
Yes, but as a possible seller, I can't say too much good about his math :-)
-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)
Remove "no" to reply
in message

Perhaps a re-read is in order.
My take on this was that one wouldn't bother going to the trouble of selling a used $7 blade. But selling a used $100 blade might get you a few worthwhile pennies (say, 5000 of them).
Renata
wrote:

smart, not dumb for email

So uh.. you would not bother selling a blade for $7 but you would bother selling one for $5...??????

LOL... yeah I caught that just before your post.
Seems like 5000 pennies now compare to 500 pennies in the 60's.

Um sorry.... I am not awake yet.. ;~) $50 would make a big difference... LOL

Do the math again.
Gary

Right!
In fact $50 was exactly what I thought a used WWII might bring.
Barry

Regardless of what you think of your local resaw service, I would suggest that you send the Forrest back to Forrest for resharpening and to re-true the blade. I made the mistake of using my local service to resharpen my Forrest and was not pleased, immediately not pleased with the results. The local is no common service as they use computer controlled sharpening machines that recognize each blade as it is resharpened time after time. Unless your blade runs factory true along with factory sharp, you may not be seeing the true results of what the Forrest can do. That said, there will always be a blade that can do something better than most any other blade.

Forrest has a rep for being pretty open. I'd be tempted to zip them off an email - nothing confrontational, nothing accusatory. Just a "Hi - I got these results when I expected something else. Since I've invested $xxx in your product, I'm curious to hear what you think... etc. etc. etc."
Hi All
I have been contacted by Dave a Forrest and we are going to try to figure out what happen. I will let the group know what we figure out.
Chef

Great!!! That's the kind of service after the sale that makes a difference!!!