WWGOA

I got one of those Woodworkers Guild of America DVDs in the mail the other day, and it made me wonder what their reputation is among woodworkers at large. I found the DVD quite impressive with high production values and it certainly covered things a rookie like me found interesting. But I don't care for this style of marketing. I can't find anything about the price of their other DVDs which makes me think they're way more expensive than the introductory one at $12.95. I also don't like their approach that they'll mail out DVDs and I need to return them if I don't want to keep them, I'd rather just order what I want thanks. Imagine how expensive that could get if they shipped out tools, who would ever send anything back? Anyway, I thought it was worth asking if anyone had any positive or negative experience with this outfit.

The receipt of an unsolicited item in the mail constitutes the receipt of a gift. No need to return or pay. Use for the intended purpose or as a coaster.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

They actually say somewhere in the blurb accompanying the disc that there is no legal obligation to return it which I already figured was the case. I'm more interested in whether their other DVDs are worthwhile as I was impressed with the first one, and whether they're easy to deal with in terms of hassles over returned discs I don't want, things like that. I probably won't sign up but maybe I want an excuse not to and I thought maybe they already had a rep here. I also don't care for businesses which call themselves a "guild" or "club" or "association" when really what they're doing is selling DVDs; if it's a business then just call it a business.

you find that they don't match the money spent you can call it all off. JAT
Han wrote:

Almost 50 years ago, I conducted a "junk" mail experiment.
Responded to an ad using "X" as my middle initial.
Took almost 3 years before I stopped getting mail addressed to "L X Hodgett".
Things have gotten worse, but not a problem.
Unless the envelope carries first class postage, I trash it unopened.
If the sender can't afford first class postage, it doesn't deserve my first class attention.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

My wife recently got what appeared to be a bit of junk mail which almost went into the shred pile, fortunately she opened it. Inside was the payoff from a class action lawsuit against an investment company she had done business with, she'd almost forgotten filling out the paperwork to be included in the action. She stunned me by saying it would easily cover a real nice tablesaw.
That woman is what I call a keeper.
However I'm thinking multi-base router and a RO sander, really nice ones, with plenty left over.
For once I don't have any lawyer jokes to make.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid says...

I'll say. Mine reminded me the other day that I hadn't bought a table saw. She asked how much it was going to cost and didn't blink at $1600-$2000 (likely $2000). In fact, she asked how much a dust collector would cost. ;-)

Forget multi-base routers. You need many routers. ;-) ...which reminds me, I need a plunger.

I'm sure they'll come to you.
--
Keith