WTB: Stanley framing square

Not just any old Satanley square, though. Here's a copy of a WTB request I sent to the oldtools forum. So far, no bites, but check your squares. If you have one and want to sell it, let me know.
"This critter may be extremely rare, but if you have one for sale, I'd be interested if the price was right. I'm looking for a Stanley R100 steel framing square that has an 18" long short leg instead of the traditional 16" short leg. I saw one yesterday in a set of tools owned by a local timber framer. His wasn't for sale, but he pointed it out to me and asked me if I'd ever seen them. Nope, but now I want one."
It makes them pretty useful, too. 18" side, 24" side, makes 30" across the hypotenuse of the triangle. 3-4-5. Why this wasn't done with all squares, I'll never know.
--
Jon Endres, PE
Reply To: wmengineer (at) adelphia (dot) net

Kim
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:37:35 -0500, "Jon Endres, PE"

Why is this useful ? Surely the point of a square is that it's, well "square" anyway, without also needing to be a 3:4:5 triangle.
Andy Dingley wrote:

Andy...
When I bought my framing square from Lee Valley, I also bought a 56 page pamphlet titled "How to Use The Steel Square". Believe it or not, the framing square can be used as a calculator for solving an interesting range of math/goemetry problems.
I like the idea of the 18" x 24" square - but I like even better that the LV offering is stainless steel.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

note though that they only claim accuracy ground on (iirc) the inside edge. whassup with that?
Bridger wrote:

From the online product page: " The angular accuracy is 0.001 radian (1/17) for the outside edge."
I would guess that it's a cost trade-off. I hadn't really given it much thought - but, interestingly, I've only ever /used/ the outside edge. I bought the LV square for the sole purpose of truing the gantry on my ShopBot; and for that I only use the outside. I suspect it may be the most "coddled" carpenter's square in a thousand mile radius (-:
For squaring (or checking for squareness) stuff that I build in wood I use either a similarly coddled aluminum drywall square (looks a lot like a 4' T-square and whether by careful manufacturing or accident, seems to be 90.000 - from Mayes) or a Starrett combo with a 24" blade.
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA

To guarantee the same accuracy on the outside edge as on the inside edge you'd have to maintain a much better accuracy on parallelism of the inside edge to the outside edge. Like about an order of magnitude better.
Otherwise, as you true one, you'd 'untrue' the other.
--

FF

On 27 Feb 2004 12:33:32 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote:

am I the only guy in the world who hooks the *inside* edge of a square against the edge of sumpin and scribes a line on the *outside* edge of the other leg?

It's funny (to me at least) that you bring up the 3,4,5, theorem. We throw a big xmas party every year for our employees. Part of the entertainment is gambling. We set up a 4,5,6 table for everyone to play. It never fails (I should do a study) but when the guys are laying out framing or concrete, or whatever, they frequently use the 3,4,5 theorem. Of course, the month immediately following the party, that 3,4,5 layout turns into the 4,5,6 layout. Trust me, it doesn't work! SH