WTB: Replacement parts for my...

Hi, I need to replace both of the larger wheels on this machine:

Machinery Model 31-350 "Sander/Grinder"

The bottom (driver) wheel is cracked and I'm afraid that it is going to shatter.

I've looked on Ace and they don't have the bottom wheel anymore This is a great machine and I don't want to lose it...

I've looked around the web and can't find a good source for older delta parts...

Thanks,

--Max

Reply to
Max Krippler

Try posting on rec.crafts.metalworking someone there probably knows a source and if not someone there could probably make you a replacement.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Max, Looks like you need to replace the small one while you're at it- it was the best of the lot, Delta supplied a decent metal wheel for it, you just have the bearing. About 6 months ago I placed an order for the lower wheel and other stuff from my local Delta repair shop- it and the other stuff never arrived, now it looks too late.

One option- make em yourself. Epoxy bearings (There are some non-metric sizes that will match drill bits you probly own) into the non-drive wheels, you need a 5/8" bore for the drive shaft. The key is not vital if you have a decent fit.

Make em out of stuff on hand- glued up MDF or ply or an extra stable wood, or ?? Turn them on a lathe; if you don't have one you can turn the drive wheel on a motor with 5/8 shaft. At least one wheel should be crowned about 2-3 degrees. Bob Vaughan has posted slightly greater details on OWWM. I'm not sure ones you make would be inferior to what Delta put on that machine, they would probably be better.

Unfortunately I do not know any great sources for sander wheels. The Taiwan/China models have metric shaft sizes, but might could be adopted. Beaumont metal works has some, but all are too wide and not big enuf diameter.

I bought one of these puppies (older rockwell 1" belt grinder) off ebay fer $30, and it came with an unusable drive wheel of rubber. At that price I didn't complain,I turned it down on a motor (so I didn't need a mandrel; automatically centered). It came out nicely, works okay, but diameter a bit small. Will make another bigger one from MDF.

Wade

Max Krippler wrote:

Reply to
Wade