WTB: Making & Mastering Wood Planes

WTB: Book: Making & Mastering Wood Planes. by David Finck. snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
John Smith

Try Lee Vally tools.com

Reply to
Jim Polaski

Jim Polaski responds:

Nope. I tried all the places, including Amazon, yesterday. Amazon lists it as out-of-stock. No one else lists it at all. I don't know who published it. No listing on Taunton and I can't figure out the Pop. Woodworking Books site, so am not sure there. He might try running a search at Sterling and Lark, and check and see if Linden carries it.

Charlie Self "Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?" Lily Tomlin

Charlie Self

todd

Hi John

Do an "advanced Google" search for the title "Making and Mastering Wood Planes", you will get over 30 hits.

The book seems not to carried by the big online book sellers. I can't believe it is out of print so soon.

Information about the book: Title: Making and Mastering Wood Planes" Author: Finck, David with foreword by James Krenov ISBN: 0906961635 Publisher: Sterling Publishing Co. Softcover, 192 pages, publish date Oct 2000 Retail price: $17.95

I did find the book for you at Blackwell's books an US affiliate of a English book seller. The book looks like it was reprinted by an English firm -- not Sterling Publishing.

$21.95 plus shipping.

Some of the Big online book sellers had the book at a cheaper price, but it was out of stock.

Regards, Tom Green

Reply to
Tom Green

Tom Green notes:

No one seems to have it in stock. I tried the Sterling Publishing site, but AOL is in a pissy mood.

sterlpubs.com

They don't sell directly but should be able to quickly find a local or mail order store.

Charlie Self "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin - it's the triumphant twang of a bedspring." S. J. Perelman

Charlie Self

It's out of print. Send an email to David and he will let you know when it is reprinted.

Regards, Dick

Reply to
Dick Latshaw

snipped-for-privacy@parinc.com (Dick Latshaw) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I found my copy at a Woodcraft store in Sacramento, CA, last fall. The book was recommended to me by a woodworker who had gone to the College of the Redwoods with David.

While it is a good book, there is not really a lot more material there than is contained in the various articles which have been published in FWW over the years, starting with Issue #1, Timothy Ellsworth and #126, David Welter. (David still teaches at College of the Redwoods. We met him a couple of weekends ago. A delightful fellow...) There may have been other FWW articles, and they MAY be in the CD ROM version of FWW. I don't know.

I suppose that, if you find no easier method of finding the book, I could be convinced to part with my copy. Contact me on regular email via gmadsen at comcast dot net if you're interested.

The difficult part of the construction for me is being able to get back to the planes now sitting incomplete, waiting for me to cut the openings in the bottom. My wife is being entirely unreasonable, and wants me to complete the hall bathroom remodel. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Mr. Finck says he is working on getting it back in print:

is a book well worth having in your woodworking library.

Reply to
Charles Erskine

I found several copies available online, Amazon UK lists several copies. Try a search on isbn.nu or any of the decent metasearch book engines.

FYI, H.

Reply to
Hylourgos

Yep. I got my copy a few years back and was somewhat disappointed that it didn't contain much new info. IIRC, a good portion of it was devoted to sharpening, etc., so it might be useful to someone who's a relative newbie to planes. For someone just wanting info on the mechanics of putting together plane, they could do just as well with the FWW articles. Even better, get the little book that Lee Valley sells called _Wooden Planes and How to Make Them_ by David G. Perch and Robert S. Lee (no relation). It costs only $10 and has detailed instructions for making several different types of planes (smoothers, including an adjustable mouth version, chamfer plane, and a few others).

I thought I was the only one with that problem. ;-) I've built a couple, including a little-bitty cocobolo smoother, and I have all the pieces for a beech smoother sitting in a corner of my shop just waiting for the time I can get around to putting it together. (It's a Krenov-style laminated plane.)

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

That IS unreasonable. Doesn't she realize you can get by with plastic garbage bags duct taped to the walls until you are able to get back to the tiling. Trust me, it works fine.

Reply to
BIG JOE