wtb : Big Shaper with sliding table

I was ready to buy the DELTA SLIDING TABLE SHAPER MDL. 43-792 ( 7 1/2 HP

3 phase ), when I found out that Delta claims that it will not run with a phase converter. So, now I am looking for another shaper that will either work with a phase converter, if it is 3 phase, or maybe a 5hp single phase. Can anyone recommend a quality shaper with a sliding table ? Thanks again. Matt
Reply to
Matt Zach

Whaaat??! Maybe not with some static converters, owing to the power capacity drop, due to the missing leg. However, a balanced 10HP rotary converter would *have* to work, unless the laws of physics have changed lately.

Cheers!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Reply to
Matt Zach

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Ask them if that applies to the rotary phase converters at the electric utility power _generating_ facility.

Then ask what the difference is between _that_ phase converter, and an on-site motor-generator set configured as a rotary phase converter.

The response should be entertaining.

Reply to
admin

Hello there,

My thoughts exactly. You can buy a 7.5 hp single phase motor to replace the three phase unit the machine comes with.

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ

David F. Eisan

Could you not just buy a single phase 5HP motor to replace the 7.5HP one? Or, does the Delta motor have a unique frame like the Unisaw?

A replacement motor might not be any more expensive than a phase converter.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Reply to
Matt Zach

My brother has a Delta Shaper (7.5 hp), Delta Planer (7.5 hp) and 16" table saw, etc... all running from a 20 hp rotary phase converter. No problems whatsoever.

-- Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

Reply to
Al Reid

I don't see the need to challenge them. You just want to know the power requirements for your tool (*your* tool). They can spec voltage, current, frequency, phase angle, and balance requirements, and perhaps load change response, but I doubt they go into that much detail. I can't think of any other power characteristic the machine might require.

It is patently ridiculous for them to spec the power source itself. (Kirchoff could have a field day with that!)

Your challenge, once you know what the machine requires, is to provide for it a power source that meets all the specs. I'd be astonished to find this impossible to achieve with a rotary converter.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Get a copy of the warranty and see if it specifically states that. If not, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If so, though, I'd be obliged if you could post the relevant portion(s) of the warranty here.

Honestly, it makes about as much sense that they would void the warranty if you operated it without wearing pink underwear. (G)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson