wtb : Big Shaper with sliding table

I was ready to buy the DELTA SLIDING TABLE SHAPER MDL. 43-792 ( 7 1/2 HP 3 phase ), when I found out that Delta claims that it will not run with a phase converter. So, now I am looking for another shaper that will either work with a phase converter, if it is 3 phase, or maybe a 5hp single phase. Can anyone recommend a quality shaper with a sliding table ? Thanks again. Matt
Matt Zach wrote...

Whaaat??! Maybe not with some static converters, owing to the power capacity drop, due to the missing leg. However, a balanced 10HP rotary converter would *have* to work, unless the laws of physics have changed lately.
Cheers!
Jim
That is what someone else told me, but Delta said no...... I hope you are correct, because I would be extremely happy with the Delta. Is there something that I can challenge Delta with, to have them reconsider their statement that 'this shaper will not work with any phase converter' ?? Thanks, Jim !
Jim Wilson wrote:

Ask them if that applies to the rotary phase converters at the electric utility power _generating_ facility.
Then ask what the difference is between _that_ phase converter, and an on-site motor-generator set configured as a rotary phase converter.
The response should be entertaining. <evil grin>

Matt Zach wrote...

I don't see the need to challenge them. You just want to know the power requirements for your tool (*your* tool). They can spec voltage, current, frequency, phase angle, and balance requirements, and perhaps load change response, but I doubt they go into that much detail. I can't think of any other power characteristic the machine might require.
It is patently ridiculous for them to spec the power source itself. (Kirchoff could have a field day with that!)
Your challenge, once you know what the machine requires, is to provide for it a power source that meets all the specs. I'd be astonished to find this impossible to achieve with a rotary converter.
Jim
Matt have you checked or even considered buying the machine without a motor and purchasing your own I am not familiar with this shaper and do not know whether Delta has a special moptor mount as in the Unisaw Might be worth looking into.

Hello there,

My thoughts exactly. You can buy a 7.5 hp single phase motor to replace the three phase unit the machine comes with.
Thanks,
David.

Could you not just buy a single phase 5HP motor to replace the 7.5HP one? Or, does the Delta motor have a unique frame like the Unisaw?
A replacement motor might not be any more expensive than a phase converter.
Brian Elfert
I called Delta back again. I told them what responses I got from this NG and from the folks that sell the rotary phase converters. Delta says they meant that if I use a phase converter, that I will void the warranty of the shaper. But they still could not say if it worked or not. My gut feel after reading the responses here is that it will work. The folks at the converter company, said they have sold thousands of them for shapers. Thanks again for all your very valuable feedback ! Matt
Matt Zach wrote:

My brother has a Delta Shaper (7.5 hp), Delta Planer (7.5 hp) and 16" table saw, etc... all running from a 20 hp rotary phase converter. No problems whatsoever.
-- Al Reid
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

Matt Zach wrote...

Get a copy of the warranty and see if it specifically states that. If not, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If so, though, I'd be obliged if you could post the relevant portion(s) of the warranty here.
Honestly, it makes about as much sense that they would void the warranty if you operated it without wearing pink underwear. (G)
Jim