Wry humor from the journeymen...

Page 2 of 2

While tiling the floor in a small bath my 'mentor' was off the line parallel to the vanity, all the more noticeable account the bathroom's small floor area. "Dave (his name, too)," you're way off the line!" "Of course, that's the way I see."
Dave in Houston

One of my favourites: "We are not making watches."
Robatoy wrote the following:

SWMBO keeps telling me "You're not making a piano here..."
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 01:21:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Maybe a clock...

One I use a lot is (thats good enough for a town of this size) since I am a wood butcher not a "woodworker" WW

My grandfather was the ultimate "recycler". It was not such a good thing back in the day. He built many a garage for little or no money. I have seen him build a big garage for a car or two and a small shop for $300. All the nails were reclaimed from demolition jobs.
He used to say to me, "Lee, go make some nails." This was where I would go to the pails of old, bent, rusty nails and one by one, straighten them out. The other thing he said, that I remember very well to this day, had to do with missing the nail and hitting my thumb/hand. He would say, "Hit the wrong nail?" I remember that expression very fondly. He was a great man and made such an impression on me as a youngster. I don't like hitting my hand with a hammer, I don't do it very much these days. But when I do, I still see his face and hear his voice. It makes me feel good remembering him. Thanks Grandpa.

My father (who was a cabinetmaker) used to say: "Taglia l'aria e spacca il burro." of any dull tool. "Cuts air & splits butter"
Luigi

"you need a Board Stretcher" *
Also there is the rookie sent to get a _bucket of electricity_ (don't ask how I know that).
The one I hated most in time of pain was "it will feel better when it quits hurting".
* _Board Stretcher With Art Willing _
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw3kpyd9sUw

My Dad to me: "Son, you're doing it BASSAKWARDS!"
My dad and his two brothers had a small carpentry company back in the 1950s (Hall Brothers Builders). My uncle used to tell my dad, when he was getting a bit too picky on how something should fit, "we aren't making watches, Pete"...

"RtW" wrote:

Don't bite your fingernails and never eat the yellow snow.
Lew

Every asshole is a potential customer.

I always heard it as 3 things, the first being "Hot's on the left"
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

I always remembered it as they needed to know - hot on the left, cold on the right - s*it runs down hill - payday is on Friday.
--
Jim in NC

I always remembered it as they needed to know - hot on the left, cold on the right - s*it runs down hill - payday is on Friday.
--
Jim in NC

Along with the other things in this thread, I remember hearing:
*The Boss is an SOB & *Quittin' time is 5 O'clock
Have a nice day, woodstuff

A plumber is an electrician with the shit kicked out of him.
Years ago I heard from a welder: "More rod, more heat, more money"