Wry humor from the journeymen...

Page 1 of 2

Recalling some homilies and quips that made me smile years ago, the pros always seem to have their special sayings. For example, decades ago I was at a welding class and finally ran a decent bead on a right angle fillet. The taciturn old timer teaching the course came by, looked at the work and opined, "Looks like it's stuck". Obviously disappointed, I later asked a classmate to comment. He grinned and said, "You just got yourself an A for today. That's the old timers' compliment". Woodworkers probably have similar nifties relating to dumb mistakes, the most ancient likely, "I cut it twice and it's still too short...". Heard any good ones over the years? Joe

A. "Geez, this thing is heavier than it looks." B. "Yeah, it looks like it would be heavier than it looks."

I like
In article <b11e2e4c-65bf-406b-acd8-73b6e0b32866

Working during my college day summers with some old timer carpenters remodeling houses in Minnesota farm country; one of their favorite expressions at fitting up some piece of wood was "fits good 'nuf as they'll never see that from downtown Chicago".
--
- mkaras

says...

or as my Dad used to say ",measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a grease pencil, then cut it with an axe"
Sparky

Another from mentor, Dave. "I think the client had something better in mind, Dave" "We made it better than it was."
Dave in Houston
"Michael Karas" wrote:

------------------------------ Sounds like the old, "... flying red horse at 1,000 ft won't see the difference."
Lew
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 14:28:53 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Use it up Wear it out Make it do Or do without
There is nothing so simple that it cannot be made more complicated.
Measure twice. Stop for lunch.
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:32:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I hadn't heard that one. I remember "Good enough for government work.", though.

Said by a person who survived the Depression.

Spoken by an engineering type.

Here we have a Union comment.
-- We're all here because we're not all there.
Caulk to fit, paint to match.
and
It ain't a credenza.

########################### When I worked for the Feds, I used to hear = Good enuff for government work !!
Smitty ############################
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

My brother used to hear that a lot from the artillery... "Close enough for government work!" (Explanation available if you really need it..."
In forth:

or "Good enough for the girls I go out with"

I heard that as "measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, and hammer to fit -- and if it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!"
snippage

"Bash to fit, Paint to hide"
Alternately:
"If it don't fit, force it - if it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
And the measuring/cutting one, I always heard it as "Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a grease pencil, cut it with a chainsaw"
If it doesn't fit - you need a bigger hammer.
-Kevin in Indy To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........
vonKevin wrote:

One I find myself saying justifying my actions to others:
"You can't fix it if you're not willing to take a chance of breaking it."
As far as my old Microsoft keyboard, it needed replacing anyway. I was surprised how complicated those things are on the inside! : )

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is!

The version I hear is, "I won't see it from my house." Usually said by a roofer when asked about the wavy shingle courses.

My dad used to say, "A blind man on a fast horse will never know the difference."
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 17:18:42 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

How long do you want those 2x4's ?
I'm going to need them a long time, I'm building a house.
basilisk