WRENCH for removing arbor from TS.

I need a wrench to remove an arbor from an old Martin TS. It needs to span the arbor, with 2 pins that fit into holes on either side of it. I thought it might be a spanner wrench, but those I've seen won't work. Does anyone know of which I speak? Is there a specific name for it? Thanks.
JP

Got it. They're called "face spanner wrenches". You buy them buy the distance apart the pins are (center to center) and the size of the pins you need to fit the holes.
JP
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 08:00:16 -0800 (PST), Jay Pique

Strange tools can sometimes be rented from better auto parts stores.

Bike shop. These are used for servicing bottom brackets.
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 09:42:41 -0800 (PST), Father Haskell

If the bike shop still has the decent sized versions and can actually find them. They don't get used much these days. <G>
The "bent wire" versions might not work as well as the stamped / cast versions on a table saw arbor.
I work in a bike shop that's been a "Bicycle Retailer Top 100" shop for five years, and in nine years, I have never seen a bottom bracket that used a pin spanner get adjusted or repaired. Everything I've seen, that we actually repaired, used either a toothed socket that fits inside the BB or a toothed semi-circle wrench that goes around the outside.
Some of the late'90's GT I-Drive full suspension mountain bikes had a funky frame part that needed a pin spanner, but we never actually disassembled the part. We use tiny spanners on a regular basis, for Shimano crank arm caps and suspension parts.
On Mar 8, 4:25 pm, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

Can't find downtube shifters anymore, either. I feel old.
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 09:44:28 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell

Actually...
I recently broke a shifter and used an _indexed_ down tube shifter, mounted on the same boss that normally holds a barrel adjuster, as a temporary replacement.
It was kind of cool! I never knew they made them with indexing.
"Jay Pique" wrote:
Got it. They're called "face spanner wrenches". You buy them buy the distance apart the pins are (center to center) and the size of the pins you need to fit the holes.
You may be able to make a simple one as follows:
Use bolts as the "pins".
Make an adjustable spanner using two (2) pieces of metal, say 1/2 x 1/8 x 6-8 long.
Drill holes in both ends of both pieces for bolts.
Form a "V" by bolting the metal strips together on one end and individual bolts on the other end.
You now have an adjustable face spanner.
Have fun.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Couldn't you just take an appropriately sized crescent wrench and drill holes for appropriately sized pins on the side of the jaws? Then you'd have an adjustable spanner.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

Basic problem, the wrench is case hardened.
You would play hell trying to drill thru the hardened surface.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Hmmmm.... it seems to me there's case hardened and there's case hardened. I'd be willing to bet something on the line of a wrench from a line such as Buffalo Tool sells would be of sufficiently poor quality that you could probably drill into it.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Yep, heat treating takes time and costs money.

I wouldn't bet the farm against it.
Give it a try and let us know.
Lew

I suggest you try Grainger. I saw three types of spanners listed on their web site and they're adjustable but not inexpensive.
Joe G
In article

I have such a wrench made from an ordinary nut cracker. The ends of the handles are cross drilled to take the proper size pins. The very ends are axially drilled and tapped for set screws to hold in the pins.
Chuck P.