Wrecklish - A Guide For The Non-Native Speaker

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@erehwon.com says...

planes planar.
Nice work, Tom!

I read that somewhere on the internet so it must be true.
But you got me laughin pretty good here.
Now back to joining my mantle with tendons. SH

If not Sir David, then perhaps Luigi of the Yukon...
Patriarch
snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net writes:

rebate (rabbet) A groove or recess cut into the edge of a board to receive the edge of another piece.
Source: Construction Dictionary, 2nd printing 1979, published by Greater Phoenix, Arizona Chapter #98 of The National Association of Women in Construction. (P.O. Box 6142, Phoenix, Arizona 85505), Library of Congress Catalog Card No. 78-54448
Comments: This dictionary started out as spiral bound book for the female office staff to have terms used in construction clearly defined and built up to be a dictionary in demand all over the country. I purchased mine (628 pages) in 1980 and have not updated it, but more has been added to it through the years in subsequent editions. It's amazing what is in it, things not found in any other dictionary, truly a work of those who work in the field. In addition to definitions, etc., it has measurement references and various construction-related sketches.
Webster's ain't agonna have "Lu-Re-Co," "lump hammer," "plate bearing test," or "Rosie O'Moore" (slang for a door). Neither will Webster's have "frick" which is a McDonald's term used in their construction contracts meaning to move one line item to another phase of the construction (like from drive up to lobby). Yup, the fast-food restaurant chain.
Glenna
snip: SWMBO: She Who Must Be Obeyed. The person responsible for assigning project work and approving expeditures for tools to complete same.

According to Delta's sticker, I have a TP300 Planner, not a TP300 Planer as I thought. Never noticed before.
I can take a pic and post it if anyone needs proof.
;-)
Here's another one:
Snipe (noun) - The illusive bird we chased deep in the woods at nigh with paper bags in our youth, (commonly referred to as "snipe hunting" that, as adults, we commonly find perched on the edge of freshly plane boards
-- makesawdust