Wow!! Record Vise sold on E bay

Page 1 of 2

Can't believe this went for this much!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemD09621039
ANTHONY DIODATI wrote:

Yeah, um, someone needs to do some research - the same thing is $99.99 at highlandhardware.com. I guess compulsive ebaying must be something like compulsive gambling for some people?
That should read: A similar thing. It's now made in India rather than England. Which could mean a huge difference in quality even if they are frm teh same plans.
That seems to be the going price on ebay, there is another in the completed listings for $160. I purchased a new one from LV a few months back (on the bargain table) for $189 CDN.
But you're right, it can be like compulsive gambling. All you have to do is see what some planes go for...

<snip>

Nah - if you paid $189 Cdn - you got the 52 1/2ED.... 9" jaws, 13" opening.... the 52 is 2/3 of the size you have...
See all three at :
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,41659,31139&p1139
Cheers -
Rob
[snip]
... and the reason you're no longer selling them, is that you're selling them all via eBay at USD 180.00?
<G>
It's all making sense now...

I've got Enfield rifles made in England, Australia, and (Ishapore) India. The same tooling, same plans. Workmanship on the English and Aussie rifles is good (not up to, say, Mauser standards, but good). The Ishapore - well, let's just say yeah, it's the same parts, but the fit, finish, and attention to detail aren't there.
To me, "it's made to the same plans" is about as useful as saying "It's built in the same factory as (good thing)". After all, the chevette and the corvette were both made by GM...

I seem not to have sold anything that gets anywhere near compulsive yet, it seems. That must be my good stuff that's too good to eBay off...

Hmmm. Now that makes me think. I've got a 12" Record Vise in storage. Wonder what I could get for it?

Depends - Does it have the pop-up dog in the front jaw? That seems to be the most popular model.
I think I've still got a few hundredweight of '50s Record vices around in a far corner of the shed. Was a time when you couldn't give them away.

No, it doesn't have the dog on it. That was something I thought about when I picked up the vise at a yard sale some dozen years ago but chose size and no dog as compared to a new smaller vise with a dog. But in all honesty, it doesn't bother me. I grew up using vises without a bench dog in sight. But, I guess that doesn't count when imagining selling it. <g>
Things would have to get pretty difficult for me to part with it though. Even though it's in storage and I don't have a workshop at the moment, the maple laminated bench I use for a desk and the vise are my tether to the dream of having a workshop again.

I've never liked the idea either. I'd much rather have a wooden jaw that extends above the iron jaw - much safer for errant plane irons.
Anybody notice the shipping is ONLY $25.00 via USPS. That sucker weighs a ton and shipping will be WAY WAY MORE, so perhaps the buyer figured that into his equation.
Alan

Well, look at it this way - unless it's a unique item, you can always buy it "back" from someone on eBay when you actually need it. Use it for money in the meantime. I was hanging on to my framing nailer for the longest time, and finally realized the only time it gets used is when other people borrow it. Turned it into 100 bucks after realizing I could replace it when I need it again, for 100 bucks. In the meantime that 100 bucks is something else that I *am* using. If I ever need a framing nailer again, I'll go to eBay, spend 100 bucks, and probably upgrade by one model change by then. Meanwhile the framing nailer I sold is being used by someone who is happy and using it. Win-win all around.
Dave Hinz
This is what people do all the time with automotive vacuum pumps! They service their a/c and when done resell it on ebay. The problem with buying something like an auto vacuum pump is you don't know how well the person before...and before...and before took care of it. And, some things like vacuum pumps need special, though not complicated servicing, like changing contaminated oil.
FWIW, the one good thing about Ebay is some times the seller has no clue about what they're sellling and you find a deal. The bad thing about Ebay is some people don't know what they're buying and drive the price up to an unreasonable amount...*sigh*
Layne
snip

What is a 'dog'
Alan

In terms of vises and benches, it refers to a means that work is secured to the benchtop. In the bench top it self, there are a number of metal (or wood) objects that slide in and out of holes in the bench top to hold on end of the stock. These holes can be square or round. Lee Valley has a premium line of bench dogs.
All of these holes and dogs line up to the vise. The vise has a small metal "dog" that slides up to catch the other end of the stock. The vise is tightened until the stock is secure. The reason that it slides down is so that stock can be slid over the top to the vise without catching.
I have a cheapy (made of) wood vise that has holes drilled in it. I slide the dogs into them and holes in the bench to secure my stock. I cut off some 3/8" bolts to make my bench dogs.
Upscale wrote:

Possibly waaaay more than it's worth<g> Online auctions, as far as I can see, are little different from real-life. Folks get caught up in "auction fever" and spend like drunken sailors when commons sense fails them.
Something strange takes place in those final moments of any auction that causes some folks to forget "the bargain" and it becomes "I MUST win this item or..."

There's absolutely no doubt that it will go for a 'record' price!
<rimshot> *groan*
Thu, Oct 20, 2005, 12:44am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (ANTHONYDIODATI) exclaims: Can't believe this went for this much!!
Is that a record?
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green