WOW! PART II Crazy WoodworkingMagazine wrter steps quarely in it.

Page 2 of 2

Right. Fear is your body's way of saying "Pay attention."
-- Doug
Douglas Johnson wrote:

Starbuck, the Second Mate in Moby Dick, said "I will not have a man in my boat who is not afraid of a whale".
The chapter can be found at http://www.americanliterature.com/Melville/MobyDickorTheWhale/27.html . Might find it interesting, as it touches on the utility of reasonable fear. Note that Melville did not write from theory, he spent 18 months aboard a whaler.
--John
"J T" told us...

that a fully intact bull can cause. Many city slickers are fascinated by such things as they have no direct knowledge or experience with "authentic bull stories".
To paraphrase my grandfather, "Anything on a farm with testicles is big trouble".
Thu, Jan 24, 2008, 9:57am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: You have to read part II to believe it. <snip>
Holly bat crap Batman. I read it after I posted that link. I quite, in part: "I would never spend my well-earned money for a machine that frightened me each time I used it."
I've got news for him, I'm scared of all of my power tools, to varying degrees. Because of that I damn well pay attention when I use them, so don't have accidents with them. If I were to make a 1/4" deep cut on the tablesaw in 1" thick wood, I still wouldn't be putting my hand on top of it, I'd be using a push block and/o push stick. Being afraid of my tools makes me make sure my fingers aren't going to get in the whirley parts. Any time a farmer gets hurt by a bull, usually turns out he wasn't frightened by the bull. That's just what the bull was waiting for. Personally, the only way I'll get near a bull is either with it on a plate, or between two buns. Bulls just teetotally scare the coondog crap out of me.
Hmm, this may go twice. Sorry about that if so.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:57:30 -0600, "Leon"

I have not been afraid of my DJ20 jointer, but I do respect it and keep my hands clear above the spinning blades. I still use the rubber-based push blocks. I would need more convincing/training before using gloves as illustrated. I still think the best safety tool is a clear-thinking brain, and I still have all ten digits after 40+ years of woodworking.

The guy's an idiot.