WOW! PART II Crazy WoodworkingMagazine wrter steps quarely in it.

Page 1 of 2
You have to read part II to believe it.
http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com:80/editorsblog/PermaLink,guid,8140705a-2659-41b1-b266-7109bc5c6615.aspx
He has sealed his fate if a lawyer goes after him.
Leon wrote:

... As a respondent noted, what's critical here is what he actually does w/ his hands--the way that picture shows, one presumes he simply passes the board over the knives counting on the friction on the surface to keep the workpiece where it is--that's fine until the one time it doesn't and he's got a hand pushing down over the knives--then he's lost a lot of flesh in a hurry.
I use hand feed w/ and/or w/o a stick or pad depending on the size of the material, but as that responder noted, _NEVER_ let the hands come close to the knife opening and always retain a fixed position behind a piece of work to ensure more than simply friction is at work behind it--thus a push stick or pad w/ lip for virtually all flat work unless the thickness is sufficient.
Eventually, he'll make a slip if he keeps this up and uses a jointer in this fashion with regularity--imo that's inevitable; it's "when" not "if".
I guess what is so upsetting is that someone WILL try this. Somebody with limited experience, trying to learn and teach him/herself, and relying on the fact that the article is printed in a publication that is considered somewhat of an instructional magazine.
Rarely am I this surprised at anything.
Robert
Robert,
I couldn't have made this point any better or agree with it any more. We were ALL beginners at one point, probably reading this magazine (for the newer beginners anyway) for tips and how to's to increase our knowledge, and *this* is what's being passed along as not only safe, but so safe that anyone who would dare contradict it deserves to be mocked???
Sittin' here and steaming,
Joe C.
Thu, Jan 24, 2008, 9:57am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: You have to read part II to believe it. http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com:80/editorsblog/PermaLink,guid,8140705a-2659-41b1-b266-7109bc5c6615.aspx He has sealed his fate if a lawyer goes after him.
Every time I see a post about jointers, I'm always reminded of my favorite: http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/hook.htm Kill the lawyers. LMAO
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:57:30 -0600, "Leon"

This guy is confusing fear with respect for the damage a power tool can do. Maybe his Editor needs to step in. Step away from the jointer, Mr. Huey...............
ROY!

This idiot is their senior editor. I don't subscribe to the mag, if I did I would be cancelling my subscription and letting them know why.
--
http://sawdustmaking.com

Not to dispute you, but I find it hard to believe that some one with this little knowledge of machine safety and this little respect for his readers safety could be the head editor of a major wood working magazine. The magazines board of directors must have very low standards indeed. Is this magazine published by the B&D group by any chance?

Here is a list of their staff: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/contactus
--
http://sawdustmaking.com

Frank Campbell wrote:

Looking at the guy's picture he just has the look of somebody who won't take anybody's word that the stove is hot.
--John

That's funny. After looking at the picture, even funnier. I agree with your comment. He kinda has that crazy look in his eyes. ;~)

Maybe they have the old bean counter mindset, Do it cheaper and don't worry about the quality. I wonder if he was the low bidder for the job?
Leon wrote:

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com:80/editorsblog/PermaLink,guid,8140705a-2659-41b1-b266-7109bc5c6615.aspx
I question much if any legal liability....he pretty much said this is the way he does it and why......while we obviously on some occasion have a litigious society...proving such gloves caused a accident when someone is stupid enough to stick a finger into a spinning blade and proving it was because the author forced you into inherently unsafe practices could be a hard sell....While he did suggest trying it, he also clearly said the status quo did not and he clearly referenced a Feb. popular woodworking jointer article (considerably more jointer information)......not to mention that if you follow his "if, ands and buts" a accident would be most difficult if not nearly impossible.....also by nature jointers have rather limited damage potential, finger tips to first joint as most common I'd think.....It would really take a determined effort to lose a whole hand....Lawyers likely will not line up for single joint damages, nor is a class action likely as there just is not enough lost tips to gloves to entice......it is also pretty much a industry standard that in every article on projects, techniques or equipment that not every conceivable "problem" is clearly defined....a certain degree of competence or experience is assumed.
Incidentally within the framework of his caveats, tight and specific grip gloves, discard when gloves no longer grab, thick enough stock, wide enough stock, proper hand and finger placement, proper lumber selection etc.....why is his suggestion "dangerous"? Would not the additional grip and material control add certain safety elements? While I personally dislike gloves for anything other than snow and blackberries vines, I'd think on a 6-8 ft 2 by something a gloved hand might bring added control, about the only time my push blocks etc. don't work all that well...... Rod

Snip
While I agree that one would suspect that if some one is injured common sense should prevail, it is still reckless to mention an unsafe practice and publicize it 2 times, being contrary to all the comments that objected.
Don't be so sure that some one will not go after him and win. After all the jury ultimately decides and that is a crap shoot in itself. Take Michael Jackson and OJ for instance. The money wins. In the past few days in Houston a Grand Jury felt that a Judge needed to go to trial for burning down his home. The district attorney tried to change their minds and ultimately disregarded their suggestion and dismissed the case.
SNIP

You have got to contact my next door neighbor that has worked in a mill shop for about 15 years and let him know how you came up with that idea.
While surface facing a piece on an 8" machine much like (exactly?) the Huey method, the planer caught the board (gnarly area?) and tore shot the board out from under his hand causing him to lose balance. His hand went right onto the spinning blade. It cut off one of his fingers and cut into the palm, knuckles, and meat of his whole hand. His "healed hand" almost works, and they were able to sew him up and restore a great deal of feeling. He admitted it... he was being lazy and didn't want to walk over to get he push pads.
Remeber he is SURFACING THE FACE, not the edge. This is the paramount of careless stupidity to do something like this on a machine with spinning blades.
After rereading his article, it seems to me to be worse than when I read it the first time. All that bullshit about fear.... apparently he hasn't seen cut off fingers, damaged eyes, damaged limbs, slashes from edged tools, etc. I would suspect that he is "one of those" guys that worked in his garage until this job came up. Beign a "woodworker" for 20 years is not the same as someone that does it for a living for 20 years. He needs to spend 8 - 10 hrs a day for about 20 years on a jobsite or in full woodworking shop that uses the same exact tools he is using for the foolish exhibitions.
Then good people, we would be able to see how smarmy and arrogant he is about the use of tools, especially if he is the one missing a digit or wearing long scar.
I have been to the emergency room enough times for accidents that have happened to me as well as my guys to last a lifetime. I can't tell you how many times I have thought "just how in the Hell COULD this hapen?" when it was an honest to Pete accident. Sometimes accidents are so "rube Goldberg" that they probably couldn't be repeated if staged.
But I never tempt fate. I never dare my tools or techniques to injure me. I never show off by letting someone else see just exactly what I can get away with. And truthfully, I have never seen anyone be as stupid as that guy is to preach that as "an alternative" to a safe way. Scarier still, he says he has students!! He is teaching people to be like him. For them, I feel sorry as I know how the story ends.
If he scoffs as being "afraid" of a jointer, then then think of how careless he might be when using other tools that seem to be less dangerous.
That guy is a nightmare.
Robert
Rod & Betty Jo wrote:

Proving the gloves caused the accident, no, that would be hard. Proving that the gloves are the reason you lost your whole hand and not just your fingertips, that would be a lot easier.

Force, no. Misled into believing it was a safe practice, that's another story.

Without the gloves, yes, but note that in a jointer accident all they can do is stop the bleeding, there is no surgical reattachment of hamburger. And once the blades have the gloves it's not going to stop chewing on you until it stalls or the gloves come off or it chews up to a point above the gloves.

Without gloves you'd have to work at it. The gloves are the scary part of what he's recommending.

If it's a 6 foot 2xsomething I'd handle it bare-handed, not with gloves. Easy to keep your hands away from the cutter with something that big.
--John
Thu, Jan 24, 2008, 9:57am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: You have to read part II to believe it. <snip>
Holly bat crap Batman. I read it after I posted that link. I quite, in part: "I would never spend my well-earned money for a machine that frightened me each time I used it."
I've got news for him, I'm scared of all of my power tools, to varying degrees. Because of that I damn well pay attention when I use them, so don't have accidents with them. If I were to make a 1/4" deep cut on the tablesaw in 1" thick wood, I still wouldn't be putting my hand on top of it, I'd be using a push block and/o push stick. Being afraid of my tools makes me make sure my fingers aren't going to get in the whirley parts. Any time a farmer gets hurt by a bull, usually turns out he wasn't frightened by the bull. That's just what the bull was waiting for. Personally, the only way I'll get near a bull is either with it on a plate, or between two buns. Bulls just teetotally scare the coondog crap out of me.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.
(Leon)

Bull on the plate, LOL
That reminds me of a picture of a bill board I saw today,
The Saskatoon Restaurant states,
There's plenty of room for all God's creatures. Right next to the Mashed Potatoes
Thu, Jan 24, 2008, 10:23pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth posteth: Bull on the plate, LOL That reminds me of a picture of a bill board I saw today, The Saskatoon Restaurant states, There's plenty of room for all God's creatures. Right next to the Mashed Potatoes
ROTFLMAO
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Picture here: <
http://balderstone.ca/Godscreatures1.jpg
And nowhere near Saskatoon, where I live.
http://improve-usenet.org /
On Jan 24, 5:07 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

A little fear is healthy. A lack of fear is stupid. I don't shake with fear when working on my machines, but I damned well am bright enough to fear what they can do if I contribute my own stupidity to their lack of ability to think for me.