Wow. Just....wow.

Damn. 27"? Oof.
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/lumber.pl?readA4597
Jason
I saw the most incredible piece of wood I've ever seen in person today. It was a piece of 8/4 bubinga. It was about 4' across at the lowest point, about 3.5' at the tallest. At least 12' tall. I'm not sure how it compared in figure to other pieces of bubinga, but it had a lot of character, in my opinion.
Of course, the price they wanted for it was equally incredible, to my mind, at least. $4900 CDN. But what a cool tabletop! If anyone's interested, it's at the Windsor Plywood, in Leduc, Alberta (just south of Edmonton). I guess they've had it for about 3 months now, waiting for the right buyer.
Clint

Clint wrote:
<snip>

One of the neatest coffee tables I ever saw started life as a granite partition between stalls of a men's restroom.
The building was typical of multiple story brick industrial buildings built sometime after the Civil War, probably 1870-1890 era.
The entire men's rest room had been finished in sheets of granite.
100 years later, it was time for an update.
You can imagine the condition of some of these pieces of granite when they were removed.
An associate of mine was given a sheet, which was given several acid bathes to get it clean, then it was off to the stone cutter where it was polished.
A great wooden support frame, a stand alone piece of furniture in it's own right, was designed and built for this piece of granite.
Even left a small thru hole in one corner of the granite which had been used to mount hardware in the restroom application.
Talk about recycling.
Was told the whole project took almost a year to complete.
At that point in my life, would never have even thought about such a project or how to get it done.
I just thought it was neat.
Lew
Lew Hodgett says...

Hope he never told house guests where it came from or how hard it was to get clean.
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 06:55:56 GMT, Lew Hodgett

I may be wrong. I thought they were marble.

Not for urinals. Marble stains, then crumbles, if it gets peed on.
Guess who wrote:

Are you sure you are thinking of the same men's room?
--

FF

The local windsor plywood in Spokane gets boards like that as well, 3" thick. They only last a few days before sold. They are amazingly striking and one has to pay homage to a great tree in their presence.
Alan

What's so special about that ? It's 27" wane-to-wane, which is a board that's less than likely to be stable in the middle and isn't especially wide.
Apart from already having been ripped through the pith, I've got boards here that came from logs just that size, and Hampshire is hardly primo cherry country.

You're too easily impressed. Have a look at this piece of claro walnut.
http://www.bakerhardwoods.com /
BTW - it's about 4 inches thick - and it's mainly crotch grain. He had four of these slabs left - the best went to Japan. With something like this I didn't have the guts to ask the price.
If you want to hurt your checkbook, go through the photos of their inventory.
They're by appointment only and not interested in Looky Lou folks. Figure on spending a minimum of $300 to make it worths Jims walk from the house to the warehouse out back. If you can't find at least $300 worth of wood you want it's time to hang up your tools, turn off the lights and find another obsession.
charlie b