Wouldn't it be nice..

Page 1 of 3

if OP's interacted with the responders to their threads, within a reasonable time frame, so that those who took the time to answer their question(s)(or posted an opinion that was requested) wouldn't feel they were wasting their time?
Seems to me that's just common decency. Wouldn't a day be about the right time frame to expect the OP to post either his general "thanks" or ask more questions, or debate some issues raised by the responders?
Or am I expecting too much?
Dave
David wrote:

Probably...
Just look at it is a public service (or disservice if you give the wrong answer.) LOL
It would be nice though.
We all forget our manners sometimes -- usenet seems to me to be like driving an American freeway through a city. Fine till you make a mistake -- then...
Now that you mention it I will take extra care -- I promise. :-)
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Gee, David, it would be nice all right but there are a few of us who do not devote as much time to reading NGs as we do to woodworking. I frequently find that I have not used my computer for 3 - 4 days at a time. But I still appreciate most of the info I get from this group.
Thanks for your comments anyway,
Max D.

Can I get back to you on that Friday? :-)
Lee
Sure! I'll be right here... <g>
Dave
Lee DeRaud wrote:

David,
I agree and having been involved with this group for a few years - seldom do I answer (or ask) questions anymore that take more than a few lines for the newbie's in the group. If I know the name as a long time contributor and I have something to say that may be helpful - then I'll take the time.
I've found that people have forgotten their manners and saying "Thanks" doesn't cross their mind. As you've read already - they won't make the time but yet they have time to ask the question... How long does it take - perhaps a few seconds? It took one individual that replied, longer to explain why he doesn't. Brilliant...
Unfortunately, many others appear to have the same attitude. I know some individuals that used to write detailed explanations, maintain excellent web sites and help others do some research to help solve a problem and even send things to others free of charge - only to get dumped on later, or never get a "Thanks" for their efforts. If more people did, then perhaps others would be more willing to offer help.
As you noted... common decency doesn't live here anymore it seems and neither do those that used to be the masters of woodworking mentoring.
Bob S.

That is nice to know you feel that way... but I think you are being unfair. Unfair to many. How can you paint with a brush as wide as that? I wasn't around when those 'masters' were here but I have some very decent exchanges with some pretty knowledgeable guys. I have received a lot of good advice, in many cases I didn't ask the questions, but good thoughts came out anyway. There is still some pretty good mentoring going on here. *I* think there are still some 'masters' here.
And now that YOU have established that I have no common decency, you have demonstrated that you know nothing about me. But I did learn all about you.
Robotoy......;-)

If you read the thread, my comment had nothing to do with you - since you did not post a comment up to that point. But if you think it's now a fact that you have no common decency - no argument from me.
And I'm glad to know that you now know everything about me. Sheeeessshhhh... even after 38 years of marriage, the love of my life can't even say that...
Bob S.

as long as I have no common decency... go fuck yourself, sir.
plonk
Robatoy wrote:

Rob:
Did you eat rusty nails for breakfast this morning? ROTFLMAO
This is not like you.
Turn on CBC and think gentle thoughts for a while.
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Actually, it is to be like me. I have no tolerance for anybody walking into a group and saying "nobody here has any common decency"...then when I call them/him/her on it, it's the good ol' "I wasn't talking to you".
My macintosh news-reader has excellent filtering, right down to the ISP numbers.
Anyway, Will, no Rusty Nails, maybe my AMT course CD had a skip in it while I was subliminally sleeping on my pillow speaker last night. Either that, or my kid exchanged the CD for an Enya recording...NO idea where she would have found an Enya recording, as there are none in this house AFAIK... (maybe hidden along with Celine Dijon [sic] and Helen Reddy... and all that smells of rap.)
on 4/19/2005 11:26 AM Robatoy said the following:

Hate to bring this up while you're on a rant but you misspelled "rap" music. It's understandable, however. I sometimes forget the "C" in "Crap Music" is silent<g>

several e-mails pointed out that 'rap music' is oxymoronic as well. Next time you will see a C. <G>
Robotoy,
Let's see if we can't help you get your facts straight. I said in my post to the OP - before you made any posts:
"As you (to the OP) noted... common decency doesn't live here anymore it seems and neither do those that used to be the masters of woodworking mentoring."
Where did I say:

Your squirming.....
And then you blurted:

Again you're squirming and if you read the thread, you had made no comments up to that point and my comment was not made to you - so I couldn't be referring to anything you said. You then decided to stick your up-tight attitude in and make it personal.
Great example of common decency from you and you have more than made the point that "common decency doesn't live here anymore."
Now that you have me <plonked> you can't read any of this and that means there won't be any more words of wisdom from your playpen....
"Robotoy"..... gotta love how fitting that name is...
Bob S.
Robatoy wrote:

Back to normal.
That's good anyway.
:-))
Re-run the CD and say a few Ommmsss.
It's working for me now too.
I'm thinking he slipped a digit. Tis all.
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

In with the good air, out with the bad air.
MOTHER OF PEARL!!!! May 6!!! 2005!!! Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy in a theatre near ME!!!
Okay..all is well.... the trailers and clips are an absolute blast!!! . . . . . . out with the bad air . . . . . . .
42
You're a real gem "Robotoy", now pick up your little wooden blocks and go home.
You have proven beyond a doubt that common decency is something you know nothing about at all.
Bob S.

All rather ironic considering the original poster's identity. A BAD identity, at that.
scott
BobS wrote:

Bob:
I checked -- I think you made a blanket statement that some people might take offense to -- I won't speculate on whether or not you are right or wrong. People have helped me, and I can't give as much as I would like. Many people here are very decent and I hope it stays that way.
Perhaps your comment came out the wrong way, perhaps you meant it. It won't change my mind.
If you meant what you said say nothing and let me believe that you missed my post -- I would prefer that to the the alternative.
You seem to be one of the courteous helpful folk -- not that my opinion would hold much sway.
Cheers!
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek