Would you buy a mortise chisel to square off router-cut mortises?

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 01 May 2015 10:11:18 -0400

i remember that quote by John Brown something like this:
"Yes read all the expert's advice, just don't let it get in the way of your woodworking."
email.me:

Yeah, that's my favorite part of the wreck too.
I'm tempted to see what suggestions I get for a pair of cabinet doors I mis-measured, and made 1/8" too narrow (so I have a 1/4" gap in the middle, which is a tad too much). What I will probably do is just glue a thin strip on the hinge side of each door. But I'm tempted to get fancy, trim the doors on all four sides, and add a 1/4" cock-bead all round.
John

Here is a video showing just how easy through mortises can be cut using a regular chisel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYpxhYHMNmI

Jerry O.

Oh, yeah, I meant to mention that. Especially if the mortise is near the end of a piece, you need to go carefully and do the cross-grain cut before the long grain to avoid splitting or blowing a chunk out the end.
Some people leave their stock long and cut the mortises, and then trim to length, to help avoid problems. I don't, but I usually don't use a mallet if I have to clean up the end of a mortise, and just hit the chisel with my palm.
BTW, I usually use two chisels - a narrow one for the cross- grain, and a wide one for the longways cut.
John
Greg Guarino wrote:

Right. So use a knife.
In your case, the only thing that matters is that the router mortice be squared at the outside and that area can be very shallow, rest of the mortice can be whatever as long as the tenon fits. I find it simpler to square up an area with a sharp knife rather than a chisel.
--

dadiOH
On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 10:00:47 -0400, Greg Guarino wrote:

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just round over the tenon?
On 4/30/2015 2:22 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

My design includes through tenons. But otherwise, I think you'd be right.

Does the design require through tenons for any reason other then just "looks" or just to prove that you can do it? If not, I would fake it and have the job done, probably in less time than it takes to hand carve just one through tenon to perfection.
Jerry O.