Would you buy a mortise chisel to square off router-cut mortises?

Try them all - try a scroll saw. I would be very interested in seeing pictures of your first attempts, no matter which method you use.

To me, the trick is to use a high quality tool and not let it get dull past the point where it takes more than a Hard Arkansas Stone to put the edge back on it. An even better trick is to not have to use them very often

Can a novice keep one sharp? Sure, don't use it. Can a novice put the edge back on a dull one? Possibly/probably/maybe - try and see. Can a novice even use one effectively? Again, you won't know until you try.

Jerry O.

Reply to
Jerry Osage

Or an emery board?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I could be wrong but I don't believe anyone has mentioned a trained rodent. Mouse, rat, squirrel...depends upon the size of the mortice. The downside is that the critter has to be trained to gnaw on command. Upside is that the critter WANTS to gnaw to keep its tooth growth in line.

Reply to
dadiOH

And beaver.

Reply to
Sonny

i remember that quote by John Brown something like this:

"Yes read all the expert's advice, just don't let it get in the way of your woodworking."

Reply to
Electric Comet

Greg Guarino wrote in news:mi01g7$8o4$1@dont- email.me:

Yeah, that's my favorite part of the wreck too.

I'm tempted to see what suggestions I get for a pair of cabinet doors I mis-measured, and made 1/8" too narrow (so I have a 1/4" gap in the middle, which is a tad too much). What I will probably do is just glue a thin strip on the hinge side of each door. But I'm tempted to get fancy, trim the doors on all four sides, and add a 1/4" c*ck-bead all round.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Here is a video showing just how easy through mortises can be cut using a regular chisel.

Jerry O.

Reply to
Jerry Osage

I did a little experimentation with regular bevel-edge chisels. They work OK, actually. With a little practice I think I could make neat edges. But I decided to buy a corner chisel and see if that seems more efficient. It's a Narex, a brand that seems to get good reviews, despite being reasonably priced. We'll see how it works. It should arrive today.

Reply to
Greg Guarino