Would it be sacrilidge to cut an Accufence down to 30"

After looking at the Vega and the Accufence, I'm sold on the Accufence. I love the T Track on all sides (seeing as I'm setting up the table saw to double as a router table) it's dead accurate and doesn't move a bit once tightened down. I really didn't like the Vega for some reason, call it a gut reaction.

My issue is the length. I really don't want a 50" fence. I can see the purpose of having one that long, but I have my Jet contractors saw on the rolling base, and I can see the whole thing unbalanced and even tipping over with all of that sticking off to one side. I also don't have the room in my shop for it.

So could / should I cut it down to 30" or do I go with the Vega 30"?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Rinken

Reply to
Mike Rinken

Go ahead and cut it down if you cannot find shorter rails for the Accufence

John

Reply to
John

I think modifications are not just your right, but your duty. If a tool doesn't fit your right, it can be a safety hazard as well as a torture test. I do woodworking for fun & I love my tools. If I don't like a tool that I use frequently, it would be like being married to a woman I don't like.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Mike...

I'm in the same boat with a small shop and right smack in the middle is a lolly column. My TS fits fine between the column and the wall, but I can never go beyond a 40" wide saw because I need that 10-12 inches on either side for wiggle room.

If and when I get another saw, it'll have to be within the same dimensional parameters but I think I'll explore folding outfeed table.

Cut the fence. You could always buy new rails down the road if you move into a bigger space.

Reply to
captmikey

If you like the Accufence better then the Vega I personally do not see any reason that you should not just cut down the rails to a size you feel comfortable with... (30, 36, 42,46,,, whatever suits your needs...

You may also try to trade the rails to some guy who needs or wants a

50 inch fence system...but bought the shorter rails, maybe because he lacked space at the time etc...

Go with what you like...sweat the details later...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Thanks for all of the help with this. I'm purchasing tonight and I'll cut it down to size!

One followup question - Does it make sense to get a metal cutting blade for my Power Miter saw to cut it, or just take a hack saw to it then grind any burs off with a belt sander and a dremel for final clean up? Just wondering.

Thanks again!

Mike Rinken

Reply to
Mike Rinken

Mike, I cut mine down a bit and a hacksaw will make pretty quick work of it. Just file the burrs and you're good to go.

Mike R> Thanks for all of the help with this. I'm purchasing tonight and I'll cut

Reply to
rob

Never mind.

a 40" fence, the router table add on and the router table fence. This is the EXACT setup I wanted. $429 for all with free shipping. Thank god for tax refunds!

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

Mike Rinken

Reply to
Mike Rinken

I had a 52" Beasmeyer and cut it down to 32". Used a metal cutting blade in my Makita miter saw. If you do this, be sure to protect the saw from the heat that is generated.

Mike R> After looking at the Vega and the Accufence, I'm sold on the

Accufence. I

tipping over

Reply to
Jerry