Would I regret buying Uniklamps?

I know Bessey Uniklamps (the gray ones) are advertised as light-duty K-body clamps, so they wouldn't be quite as brawny as the real red ones. However, Amazon's prices are pretty tempting ($75 for two of each 6", 12", and 18"), and these size ranges are what I use most. Reviews at Amazon are generally positive. Would these be a good introduction to parallel-jaw clamping (I don't have any yet), or would I be disappointed and just want to get some real K-bodys or Cabinet Masters? I was thinking of eventually getting some of the 40" K-bodys (also only $30 ea at Amazon) for larger or heavier-duty applications. I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has used both Uniklamps and "real" parallel-jaw clamps (K-body, Cabinet Master, Gross Stabil). Thanks a lot, Andy

Reply to
Andy

I use the Uni's a ton. I have all 3 sizes and find them super for small glue ups AND for holding fixtures (or is it jigs?). They have plenty of holding power for small glue ups. My shortest K body is 31, so that's a PITA for it's weight and length for small projects. Since the K bodies work great for the larger stuff, I see no need to intermix other brands of clamps in my shop.

Dave

Reply to
David

No, you wouldn't regret it, in fact it is a very good deal!

(Link to product in question)

I have several UniKlamps and many more K-Body's. The UniKlamps hold their own for the less heavy clamping tasks, but you can still apply a fair bit of pressure using the UniKlamps too. They are a great cost-effective clamping solution for lots of woodworking tasks. Go for it!

Dean

Reply to
www

Andy wrote: Would these be a good

It won't matter whether you buy the Uniklamps or not. Whether you buy them or not, whether you're disappointed or not; either way, you'll need more clamps someday. You can get the K-Bodies then. Most of us who've been at this a while have a ton of clamps of all shapes and sizes. You'll find plenty of uses for the Unis even after you get the K-Bodies.

DonkeyHody "Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - DonkeyHody

Reply to
DonkeyHody

I got the $99 K-Body 4-pack from Amazon, and the 40-inchers are HEAVY. You have to make sure the legs are supported at the far end so the klamps don't tilt.

I can see having some lighter clamps for small projects.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

I'm sure these would be useful and adequate for some assemblies. The regular Bessey K-body clamps are worth every penny. (The only clamps I really regret buying were those made in China.)

Reply to
Phisherman

You should try the ones from Homier. I thought $3 was cheap, but worth a try. When you tighten the screw, the aluminum stops just rip out. Apparently it they are easier to make if you use really soft aluminum.

Reply to
Toller

Well, you know machine tools are really expensive. If you can pick a material that's softer than your tools they last a whole lot longer. :-)

Mark & Juanita

They are very good clamps. I use them to glue up raised panel doors. I have about 12 of the 18", at times wish I had more.

ken

Reply to
Ken

Hi all, Thanks very much for sharing your experiences and opinions - I ordered the set from Amazon today... Andy

Reply to
Andy