Wots a 'Butt Gauge'?

Curious. I see these on ebay and I don't know what they are for. Item

260167202747for example.

Tim w

begin 666 rtCurve.gif M1TE&.#EA" `(`)$``/___^_O[\[.SO___R'Y! 44``,`+ `````(``@```(1

35( Y8PF[#H)QTG$N>SIH5@``.P`` ` end
Reply to
Tim W

Its used to measure up the wifes or girlfriends backside..........as the name implies!

IIRC its a device that has a sliding block on int that slides on a shaft or piece of wood that has a nib on the wend and it can be used to set the depth needed to mortise and tenon joints, hinges etc. Used for repetitious markings

Reply to
eekamouse

Your standard door hinge is a butt hinge.

butt gauge is used to layout the jamb mortise for the hinge leaf.

RicodJour

Which is usually called a scratch gauge, or simply a gauge. Butt gauges were more elaborate, blocks of bronze or cast iron with more than one beam and sides ground dead square so you could use them for striking perpendicular lines. Intended purpose was setting out butt hinges, hence the name. You can also use them in place of standard scratch gauges, where they often work better due to thinner beams and a blockier, easier to grip stock.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

Used to measure a Butt Load.

Reply to
Leon

Go here

down

S.

Reply to
BobS

Ah ha! All is clear now thanks

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

the instruction sheet.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

(It's like The Old Days of the Wreck)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ha Ha, yes I was asking for that.

A mate of mine was telling me about the work he was doing on his old wooden boat. He said the carpenters had had to fit 'butt cheeks' lots of them under the decks. 'Butt Cheeks?' I said, 'Those blokes are taking the piss out you. No piece of carpentry could have such a ridiculous name. They are having a laugh'.

I was wrong. Butt Cheeks is what they were.

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

See the binaries group for the use of this guage.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang