Wots a 'Butt Gauge'?

Curious. I see these on ebay and I don't know what they are for. Item 260167202747for example.
Tim w
begin 666 rtCurve.gif M1TE&.#EA" `(`)$``/___^_O[\[.SO___R'Y! 44``,`+ `````(``@```(1 35( Y8PF[#H)QTG$N>SIH5@``.P`` ` end
Tim W wrote:

Its used to measure up the wifes or girlfriends backside..........as the name implies!
IIRC its a device that has a sliding block on int that slides on a shaft or piece of wood that has a nib on the wend and it can be used to set the depth needed to mortise and tenon joints, hinges etc. Used for repetitious markings

Which is usually called a scratch gauge, or simply a gauge. Butt gauges were more elaborate, blocks of bronze or cast iron with more than one beam and sides ground dead square so you could use them for striking perpendicular lines. Intended purpose was setting out butt hinges, hence the name. You can also use them in place of standard scratch gauges, where they often work better due to thinner beams and a blockier, easier to grip stock.

Ha Ha, yes I was asking for that.
A mate of mine was telling me about the work he was doing on his old wooden boat. He said the carpenters had had to fit 'butt cheeks' lots of them under the decks. 'Butt Cheeks?' I said, 'Those blokes are taking the piss out you. No piece of carpentry could have such a ridiculous name. They are having a laugh'.
I was wrong. Butt Cheeks is what they were.
Tim w

Your standard door hinge is a butt hinge. http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00136.asp
A butt gauge is used to layout the jamb mortise for the hinge leaf.

Used to measure a Butt Load.
Go here http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanley/stanmisc/stanmisc.htm
Scroll down
http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanley/stanmisc/95man.pdf
Bob S.

Ah ha! All is clear now thanks
Tim w

The 95 is the one I was referring to. Much thanks for the instruction sheet.

Great page, thanks!
(It's like The Old Days of the Wreck)
See the binaries group for the use of this guage.