WOT: Gun Buy Outs

Page 6 of 7
Charlie Self wrote:

There was a gun buyback in LA this past weekend. Turn in a gun and get gift cards for $50 or $100 for Aunt Lucy's derringer or Uncle Vito's semi-auto. Hundreds were turned in. They ran out of gift cards and still guns were being turned in. Seems like the bigger the local problem the more success you will have.     mahalo,     jo4hn

I wonder if there were people running around trying to buy old guns for $25 so they could sell them to the buy-back program and make a profit.
Upscale wrote:

The police in Buffalo have had an annual gun buy-back for the last three or four years. The majority of the guns being turned in are sporting rifles that belonged to the deceased husbands of the widows turning them if. By what I have seen on TV in the quick pan of the camera I'd guess the rifles were worth $300 - $1000 and they turned them in for $50.
IIRC, Ol' Keeter had a name of those that took advantage of "widow wimen" like that.
Last year a guy was trying to buy selected firearms from the people waiting in line to turn them in. I believe he was willing to pay a fair price for the rifles. The police ran him off under threat of arrest.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
wrote in message

Arrest for what?
LD wrote:

wrote in message

Bring a lawyer ...
LD wrote:

For screwing up the intent of their program. I'm sure they could have come up with some reason. Would it have held up in court? Probably not btu the guy would have been prevented from buying any of the firearms, would have spent some time in jail, most likely incurred the expense of a lawyer and spent a day in court The arresting officer would have gotten overtime for his court appearance.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

Arrest for what - it's more than an academic interest. I'll sure try what he attempted if there's ever a buy-back program in my neighborhood.
'Course the laws in Texas are way different than New York. One person hands over money, the other hands over the gun(s). The state is not involved in any way. No permits, no registration, no restrictions on private sales (other than you cannot KNOWINGLY sell to a person not legally entitled to own a weapon: felon, child, mentally deranged, alien, hippie, etc.).
jo4hn wrote:

Yeah, because all those self-respecting gang bangers will look at the opportunity to get $100 for a $1500 AR as a great service to society. As Nova points out, this is probably taking advantage of widows and others who don't realize what they have or appreciate it.
Hmm, there's an on topic idea -- an old plane buy-back program.

They're pay $100 bucks for turned in guns?! Do you have to prove it's illegal?

Why would you? Think about it? Most decent quality legal guns are worth well over 100 bucks, as a starter.

Why would you? Think about it? Most decent quality legal guns are worth well over 100 bucks, as a starter.
There's a lot of junk that isn't.
LD wrote:

Please provide a link pointing to any functional firearm that is selling for less than $100.

DAGS-A quote from an article found in several places... "Bryco semiautomatics, which can be had in matte black or shiny nickel finish, retail for less than $100 new, and for as little as $55 used."
Larry

It seems to be a quote from Time Magazine. Bryco went belly-up in '03, after producing a line of Saturday night specials for many years. Cost new was about $120, IIRC, for the .380.
Used, it should be available for about $60, so I guess it fits. But Saturday night specials are about the only type of pistol that does. Of course, that's probably what most of these people are hoping to clear from the streets. Good luck to 'em on that is all I can say. There are probably 50-60 million of them around, though most cost well over 100 bucks these days. I owned several of these off-brand specials over the years, but was mostly afraid to fire them for fear of losing a finger or two. Someone gave me one a few years ago. I bent the barrel in a vise, and smashed the cylinder with a sledge hammer and tossed it.

Did anyone say it had to be functional?

http://www.cartrunk.com
nb

I just had to try that, and I can't believe that no one is using that url...

Probably being warehoused by a domain broker for $100K.
nb
LD wrote:

Usually these events are "no questions asked."
Those who run these programs won't tell you, but I often wonder when the Buffalo cops run the serial numbers the next day how many guns they find that were last seen on the hip of an Arizona State Trooper found shot to death on the side of the road.
Further, I have never heard of a stolen weapon being turned in during one of these "buy back" schemes that was returned to its rightful owner.