WOT: Gun Buy Outs

I live in Pennsylvania and you can hunt about anywhere. For years, all the little towns and boro's in Allegheny County had no hunting laws. About 10 years ago one of them, Fox Chapel, a borough of the super rich, decided the deer population was getting too big and was eating all the expensive shrubs and flowers of the estate owners and was going to cull the herd, as they say.

Well, a bunch of Bambi lovers went nuts and tried to stop the kill because the borough had an ordinance against hunting. In the middle of the fight, 'we're not hunting', yes, you're hunting, no we're not thing-ee, the Pennsylvania Game Commission got involved and said Fox Chapels no hunting law was worthless, the PA Game Commission laws over rule them, and furthermore, the Game Commission over rules all the other no hunting laws in conflict with Game commission law. Immediately, deer hunting was on everywhere. The rule is if the land is private, and the owner allows hunting, go ahead and hunt. Game commission rules, like

150 yards from a residence, need a license and so on are all still in affect.

I also live in a highly populated area of Pittsburgh, and deer hunting during hunting season is now a given. Your grandfather would probably be happy. I don't hunt so don't know all the rules, but my son hunted deer with a 12 gage shotgun and punkin balls.

Ground deer meat makes the best chili, taco's and spaghetti sauce on earth, but sucks for just about any other use, imo.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Ah yes, again we hear from the voice of the ill informed.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Jack;

I don't currently hunt myself but I have in years gone past.

My favorite story about hunting is the State of New Jersey outlawed deer hunting in the '50s. According to the story they almost lost the whole herd due to over population and disease.

Hunting is essential for the maintainance of a health herd. When old Dan Boone was roaming the countryside there were large packs of predators that culled the herd of weak and unfit animals. They are gone leaving man to perform that act. Yes most of the deer killed are not sick or unfit but the mere act of reducing the male deer population keeps the size of the herd down to manageable proportions and the number of sick and unfit animals down.

Dave

Reply to
David G. Nagel

We need more predators too. I wish the wolves and mountain lions would return to the Catskills to encourage the city and other downstate folks to stay down there. The black bears and coyotes just aren't getting the job done. To get this semi-on-topic, those city folks don't want any trees cut down either... tough to woodwork without wood. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I lived 19 years in Toledo and ENLISTED in Cleveland.

Next Moron!

Reply to
LD

And the relevance?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yes, Pennsylvania is very nice between Pittsburgh and Philidelphia. It sucks at those ends, though.

Reply to
krw

Having lived '07-'08 in the Akron area, I couldn't agree more. The move (last August) from North-East Ohio to East-Central Alabama was a big step up.

Reply to
krw

Yep.

Too large a population going into a reduced winter food supply means the entire herd is malnourished and more susceptible to disease, starvation, predation, etc. greatly increasing winter kill. Smaller population means more sustenance and better survivability for each individual animal. Small initial population can very easily mean a larger number of survivors than a large initial population.

Perhaps overly simplified, but still something that seems difficult to accept for those overly influenced by emotional reaction to the beauty of the animal. I almost said "Bambi Lovers", which, while true, smacks of being an unintended put down.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein

Reply to
Tom Veatch

A fact that seems to elude even dept fish/game twits. Florida had a SEVERE case of deer over population, they starving by the truck-load, but don't let them damn savage hunters in. Similar scenarios in other states are all too common.

nb

Reply to
notbob

You snipped the relevance.

Reply to
LD

Shocking but believable ...

Reply to
LD

Well, shoveling snow is no longer an issue. ;-) (lived in VT for 15 years before the year in OH)

Reply to
krw

I left Toledo because of snow and tornados ...

FWIW, I spent a horrible winter once in Montgomery. No snow, but damp and miserable.

Reply to
LD

And damp, hot, and miserable in the summer. Only passing through Montgomery, but 6 years just up the road in Auburn and 4 in Huntsville before coming to Kansas. Higher temperatures here, but at least it's a lot drier.

"A lot drier"?. Is that why I'm fighting a flooded crawl space under my shop?

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Nice try, but no cigar.

Glittering generalizations AKA: "Crap on the wall", don't count.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Which one is the part that keeps electing Murtha? Despite him showing his disdain for them by calling them a bunch of racists?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Crap? You SNIPPED the Relevance.

Reply to
LD

Every time I whine about Oregon's rain, I try to remind myself about Toledo and DC. Toledo had the best of both worlds, bad winters and bad summers - with very little in between.

Reply to
LD

Virginia isn't like that--I think the current bag limit, all season, in my county is 7, which is among the highest in the state. But we have intense deer population problems that cause deer/car collisions more often than most people would like. I tapped two in 8 years, with one running into me, and the other trying to jump over the frigging hood. I was doing 7mph with the first, and about 10 with the second. Both caused $2,000 damage.

Reply to
Charlie Self