WOT: Gun Buy Outs

Page 5 of 7
On Thu, 14 May 2009 16:48:30 -0500, "David G. Nagel"

Yep.
Too large a population going into a reduced winter food supply means the entire herd is malnourished and more susceptible to disease, starvation, predation, etc. greatly increasing winter kill. Smaller population means more sustenance and better survivability for each individual animal. Small initial population can very easily mean a larger number of survivors than a large initial population.
Perhaps overly simplified, but still something that seems difficult to accept for those overly influenced by emotional reaction to the beauty of the animal. I almost said "Bambi Lovers", which, while true, smacks of being an unintended put down.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein

A fact that seems to elude even dept fish/game twits. Florida had a SEVERE case of deer over population, they starving by the truck-load, but don't let them damn savage hunters in. Similar scenarios in other states are all too common.
nb

Virginia isn't like that--I think the current bag limit, all season, in my county is 7, which is among the highest in the state. But we have intense deer population problems that cause deer/car collisions more often than most people would like. I tapped two in 8 years, with one running into me, and the other trying to jump over the frigging hood. I was doing 7mph with the first, and about 10 with the second. Both caused $2,000 damage.
David G. Nagel wrote:

When I was a kid, and the neighborhood was much more rural, I never saw a deer, dead or alive. Today, despite hunting, there are deer everywhere, herds of them even. Most of them are killed by $30,000 cars rather than $100 guns.:-) Less than 10 years ago I used to bitch about the 30 mph speed limit on Fox Chapel Road, and about everyone averaged the correct speed, closer to 50mph, hoping the tax collector didn't nab them. Now, it really isn't safe to go over 30mph because of the deer running in front of you. We are polluted with deer. I still don't hunt because I get no joy out of killing, but I'm glad a few people are left that have not been femanized with this line of crap... Problem is I don't cook much either... don't hunt, don't cook, damned near useless...
--
Jack
Lew Hodgett wrote:

The purpose of law enforcement is many-fold:
* To investigate crimes and apprehend the criminal. * To deter rascally behavior.
One purpose of law enforcement is NOT to protect the individual or public. They have no duty to do so.

Actually the reverse is true. The masses are seeing the silliness of disarmament.
"On guns, Gallup has been testing opinion for many years on one extreme proposal that is the goal, usually unstated, of many gun-control advocates: banning the possession of handguns. Support was 60 percent in 1960 and 49 percent in 1965. It was as high as 43 percent in the early 1990s, before the Clinton Congress passed the so-called assault weapons ban. In March 2007, it had fallen to 29 percent -- a minority, almost a fringe position."
In forty years, support for the notion that handguns should be banned has fallen by half and is now about even with the percentage of the American public that favors a monarchy.
In 1987, Florida enacted a "shall issue" concealed handgun permit law. "Shall issue" means that if an individual meets the statutory requirement (stand up, hear thunder, see lightning), the responsible authority MUST issue the license - no discretion is permitted. Since then, 38 additional states have enacted "shall issue" regulations. Nine other states have some sort of discretionary-issue system. Only two states (Illinois and Wisconsin) and the District of Columbia prohibit concealed carry under all conditions.
In every state where concealed handgun legislation has become effective, the trend is toward loosening of the strictures. For example, Tennessee's original law prohibited concealed handgun permit holders from entering an establishment where alcohol was served. Just this past week, the Tennessee legislature effectively repealed that restriction. There has been no case where gun legislation has been tightened with regard to handguns since 1987.
The original Texas law in this regard prohibited concealed carry in churches. That restriction was repealed four years ago. Now a person with a valid license may carry his weapon in a religious establishment. Lest you think churches are no place for guns, I refer you to the shoot-out at New Life Church in Colorado Springs. There a female member of the congregation - with a concealed handgun license - blew away a maniac before he could get past the front door and endanger the 7,000 people in attendance.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/14817480/detail.html
But you are correct on the "fear mongering" bit. In my view, the debate on guns comes down to two simple positions:
* People who are afraid of criminals, and * People who are afraid of guns.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

The purpose of law enforcement is to protect society. That does not necessarily mean protecting *you* personally. If they happen to be in the right place, at the right time, then protecting you personally is a plus. However, in protecting society, that generally means investigating the crime scene, taking evidence, and attempting to find the perp before they commit another crime. If insufficient evidence can be found, then they wait until another crime is committed by the perp and repeat.
*You* on the other hand are where you are all the time. Do you know the response time for the police to arrive where you live? How much time is that for someone to do something? People should take some responsibility for their own defense. That may or may not mean having a firearm. It may mean having mace, pepper spray, a rapid response alarm system, etc.

Really, latest polls tend to show otherwise.
As posted previously, people do defend themselves and have prevented heinous crimes from taking place: <http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19365762/detail.html

On Mon, 11 May 2009 21:52:29 -0600, Mark & Juanita wrote

"When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away"...
-BR

Or... The reason I carry a gun is because a cop is too heavy.
Larry
Larry wrote:

I am so stealing that.

Be my guest. Not the original author of that nor do I know who is. Just seen it several places. It is rather appropriate though...
Larry

Insanely so! The perfect response.
nb
Mark & Juanita wrote:

"Why do you carry a .45?" "Because they don't make a .46,"
HeyBub wrote:

A real wood worker would be turning out high volume, low quality zip guns by the bucketful. Was this also a "no questions asked" type of left wing mania?
--
Jack

Generally, a lower level of violent crime, I think, though we do have a sufficiency of gun murders.
Just as things get really to the point of lowering the boom on gun owners, someone ends up blowing away a miscreant--about three weeks ago, a guy shot and killed a violent drunk who was invading his home. A few years ago, a woman used a shotgun to remove a guy who kicked down her door in an effort to get to her. He was blown right back outside, IIRC.
As population increases, violent crime will, too.
"Charlie Self" wrote:
==============================As population increases, violent crime will, too. ============================== Just to put things in perspective, when I came to SoCal in 1990, the state population was about 30 million.
Today it is past 38 million and still climbing with about half the state population in SoCal, or 19 million.
19 million exceeds the population of probably all but about 5-6 of the other states in the USA.
A lot of the land in SoCal is uninhabited, so the rest has a rather high population density.
High population density and the influx of drug gangs from Mexico make things a little dicey sometimes, especially in the inner city areas.
Lew

Why is that, terrain not flat enough?
"Upscale" wrote:

Take your choice, either dessert, mountain terrain or both.
San Bernardino County is larger than the state of Connecticut but contains large chunks of both the San Bernardino National forest as well as the Mojave dessert.
As a result, there are probably close to as many rattlesnakes as there are people in San Bernardino County.
In addition, Riverside and Imperial counties both have large dessert area within their boundaries.
If you have seen any of the coverage of the wild fires burning in Santa Barbara County the last few days, you get a feel for some of the mountainous terrain around SoCal.
Lew
wrote in message

lack of water
"charlie" wrote:

Nah.
We steal all we need from up north.
The Aquaduct was built for a reason.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Might I suggest turning your wood shop into a high production Zip Gun shop. I think I could make a working zip gun for under 5 bucks.
That's more profit than Big Brother makes on a gallon of gas.
--
Jack