WOT: Gun Buy Outs

Page 4 of 7
"Jack Stein" wrote:

As I remember, Fox Chapel along with Alcoma were a couple of pretty decent golf courses.
Certainly no Oakmont, but definitely worth the drive from Cleveland a couple of times each summer just to play there.
Lew

But then, almost Anywhere is worth the drive from Cleveland ...
"LD" wrote:

Ah yes, again we hear from the voice of the ill informed.
Lew

I lived 19 years in Toledo and ENLISTED in Cleveland.
Next Moron!
"LD" wrote:

And the relevance?
Lew

You snipped the relevance.
"LD" wrote:

Nice try, but no cigar.
Glittering generalizations AKA: "Crap on the wall", don't count.
Lew

Crap? You SNIPPED the Relevance.

Having lived '07-'08 in the Akron area, I couldn't agree more. <tie in from above> The move (last August) from North-East Ohio to East-Central Alabama was a big step up.

Shocking but believable ...

Well, shoveling snow is no longer an issue. ;-) (lived in VT for 15 years before the year in OH)

I left Toledo because of snow and tornados ...
FWIW, I spent a horrible winter once in Montgomery. No snow, but damp and miserable.

And damp, hot, and miserable in the summer. Only passing through Montgomery, but 6 years just up the road in Auburn and 4 in Huntsville before coming to Kansas. Higher temperatures here, but at least it's a lot drier.
"A lot drier"?. Is that why I'm fighting a flooded crawl space under my shop?
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein

Ouch!
Every time I whine about Oregon's rain, I try to remind myself about Toledo and DC. Toledo had the best of both worlds, bad winters and bad summers - with very little in between.

As a permanent resident of Alabama, I have to agree, the summers are hell most years. Typical July and August is 98 degrees, 90 percent humidity, with no wind.
By the end of August everyones tired and tempers are short, and to stay somewhat with the thread, gun related murders are at their highest.
Fall, Winter and Spring are generally nice, it's rare to have a winter day that doesn't get above freezing and very limited snow, had about 2" one day this winter and it was gone in a few hours.
basilisk

We're just up the road from Montgomery, in the Auburn area (Opelika). Of course we've only been here about nine months, but that included August. Having been a Vermonter for 15 years, the weather here is *fabulous*. The past winter was no big deal at all, with a perfect[*] 5" snowfall.
The thing that surprised me here was that they don't use frost-free sillcocks, even though it does get well below freezing. Since there is no ground frost, most houses are built on slabs. It would be a real mess replacing the sillcocks in my house.
[*] perfect snowfall == only snows on living things; no shoveling. ;-)

I did spend Christmas eve on the beach near Pensacola that winter .. :)
Jack Stein wrote:

Jack;
I don't currently hunt myself but I have in years gone past.
My favorite story about hunting is the State of New Jersey outlawed deer hunting in the '50s. According to the story they almost lost the whole herd due to over population and disease.
Hunting is essential for the maintainance of a health herd. When old Dan Boone was roaming the countryside there were large packs of predators that culled the herd of weak and unfit animals. They are gone leaving man to perform that act. Yes most of the deer killed are not sick or unfit but the mere act of reducing the male deer population keeps the size of the herd down to manageable proportions and the number of sick and unfit animals down.
Dave

We need more predators too. I wish the wolves and mountain lions would return to the Catskills to encourage the city and other downstate folks to stay down there. The black bears and coyotes just aren't getting the job done. To get this semi-on-topic, those city folks don't want any trees cut down either... tough to woodwork without wood. ;~)
John Grossbohlin wrote:

What, you never heard of plastic wood?
Wait, they don't like oil much either, or exhaling...
Come to think of it, they don't seem to like much of anything...
--
Jack
Go Penns!