WOT: Gun Buy Outs

Page 3 of 7
Tom Veatch wrote:

At the USAF base in England where I was stationed for three years, the sargeant in charge of the Air Police managed to blow off the end of a finger while trying to clear a jam for one of his troops. They were at our indoor range re-qualifying with the .45. Sarge had a finger over the end of the barrel as he jiggled the slide and squeezed the trigger. Wound was nicely cauterized. They shipped him out Real Quick Like, as he was the laughing stock of the base.
John Grossbohlin wrote:

caught an offender in the stair well of one of the apartment buildings in town. The offender made appropriate moves to bring down the wrath of the cops upon him, over 60 rounds were fired by the cops. Not a one hit the offender. The chief was so enraged over this display of firearms proficiency that he suspended every one of the detectives and ordered them to qualify (not re qualify but qualify) on the gun range before they could go back to work and resume being paid. The offender went to jail.

Shoot, that's nothing! Any TWO Portland or Beaverton Oregon cops can and do get off 40 rounds all on their lonesome with similar results. In fact, two Portland cops fired that many at one perp and he got caught when he went to an ER later for treatment of a bullet Fragment in his right heel. To be fair, the guy was running and it was at night - on a well lit street.

Lew-
I think that you elevate the typical LEO's gun skills over that of "amateur gun owners" (what ever that classification might mean)
First of all most deadly handgun incidents occur at very close range...... ranges at which there is not much more needed than point and shoot.
When I was a kid most cops carried revolvers...now its mostly high cap semi's.
Funny thing is...the number of rounds expended by LEO's in a "gun fight" have greatly increased but the number of "hits' has not had a commensurate increase.
since you hale from LA.....you must remember the (a few years ago?) incident where group of LA County Deputy Sheriffs opened fire on a suspect in a residential neighborhood in a suburban. Something like a 100 rounds fired....everything but the suspect was hit.
the fact is ...most LEO's are not great shots :(
the good news is....they don't need to be :)
cheers Bob
Lew Hodgett wrote:

The Supreme Court of the United States has decreed that NO ONE has a RIGHT to police protection. The cops are there to protect the PUBLIC only.
Several years ago a Mother in New England killed an intruder in her house who was threatening her and her DAUGHTER. The criminal justice system and the law threw her in to prison for many years because the MOTHER could have fled the basement where she and her daughter had been forced by the intruder.
Dave N

Lew-
From your posts I'm getting the impression that you;re a gun prohibitionist or an advocate of major gun restrictions.
If so please consider the unintended consequences of your desired (or so it seems) courses of action
prohibition of alcohol & drugs were (& are) a huge failure and a major source of income to the criminal element; gun prohibiton would only be worse....just take a look at Mexico, private gun ownership is severely restricted. The govt of Mexico prefers its "subjects" to be unarmed.
if you think US citizens should be disarmed or have all weapons "registered"......consider this
How about posting a sign like this in your private front yard (if you have one)
"To whom it may concern, there are no firearms in this home" or more simply "Gun free home :) "
additionally a gun registration system (like state DMV's) could easily be hacked by criminals or subverted by employees........the gun registration lists (addresses basically) would be great "day time burglary targets", the "no gun address" would be great home invasion or night time (hot) break in's.
check out the CDC or the FBI stats.......the US doesn't have a gun problem, the source & solution lies elsewhere. :) take the time to research, read & assimilate the data
cheers Bob

Makes one wonder if he knows anything at all about guns.
Also, if I hafta shoot someone in self defense, it's gonna be to kill. I don't want the perp disputing my version of events and/or hiring some dirtbag shyster to file a civil suit against me cuz his winkie's been whacked.
nb
"HeyBub" wrote: ===================================> I hope you'll permit a modest correction: A double-barrel 10-gauge

When I got done with it, it would be.

That's enough to castrate the target.

Don't plan on missing so no need to reload.
Reminds me of my father telling me how he learned to shoot as a young kid in southern Indiana.
As a 6 year old, was given a single shot .22 and a single cartridge, then told to go shoot breakfast.
Didn't go hungry more than a couple of times before he learned how to shoot.
SFWIW, he could bark a squirrel at 50 ft well into his 40's when it became bifocal time and he lost it.

Who is talking about a shotgun or a car?

No desire but don't bet me.

MIL is dead, don't have a person of the cloth to visit.
Have no plans to conceal.
Matter of fact, want everybody within 50 miles that I have it, have an absolutely nasty personality, and would just as soon shoot as breathe, especially if you enter my bed room.

Which is why I called it illegal.
Try less than 8"-9" complete with both stock and barrels.
Strictly illegal, but a hell of a weapon to have in a bar fight.
Lew
"Charlie Self" wrote:
=================================You need to check state game laws before making statements covering the entire eastern area. In Virginia, we have a breakdown in hunting seasons that goes something like this: muzzleloaders (they are still rifles, though); archery; rifle. There is no specific shotgun season, nor any need for one, though I think pumps with buckshot or slugs may be used. Turkeys are considered shotgun game. =================================Nowhere did you post an AK47 season which was my point. =================================== I've got a hunting friend out in Nevada, who is also something of a gun nut. I can't recall him ever even owning a "saddle gun" .30-.30. ================================Definitely light weight for long range work
==================================Basically, it's difficult to jam people into categories when it comes to owning guns and using them, whether you're writing of hunting in general or in specific areas, or even about political party affiliations. ==================================No attempt to generalize but rather to point out that an AK47 is not a sport hunting weapon, but rather specifically designed to kill people.
Lew

Or, maybe just something to show off. Not much different essentially than some of the flakes who driver their fully decked out Hummers downtown in rush hour traffic everyday.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Rifles and are automatic loaders with selectable full or semi automatic fire. They are also extremely inaccurate weapons.

If hunting with an AK47 wasyour point, you shouldn't have categorized eastern states as only being able to use pump shotguns with a slug load. Probably a .30-.30 is more popular, because most hunting here is done in wooded areas.
Speaking of using a fully automatic weapon for hunting is asinine, anyway. You can't use an M16, nor can you use a Thompson, and I'd bet even the Barret .50 is not legal for game, nor is a BAR, my personal favorite for layiing down fire (which tends to show my age). That really comes under the heading of SFW.
"Charlie Self" wrote: =================================If hunting with an AK47 wasyour point, you shouldn't have categorized eastern states as only being able to use pump shotguns with a slug load. Probably a .30-.30 is more popular, because most hunting here is done in wooded areas. ===================================== I didn't.
Since a shotgun with a slug load is a shorter range weapon than a rifle, and eastern states tend to have higher population densities than western states, chances are pretty good more shotguns loaded with slugs are used in eastern states.
Nothing more, nothing less.
It's been years, but from memory, think Ohio only allows shot gun slugs for deer, and maybe even PA.
Both being states east of the Mississippi and both with relatively high population densities.
Lew
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

vast areas of extremely low population. It also has several large areas where deer hunting is permitted. My grandfather used to hunt every year and got his bag each time. He used a pump action rifle that used the Remington 35 caliber cartridge. Shot guns were used for birds only.
David G. Nagel wrote:

The politicians describe Pennsylvania as "Philidelphia in the east, Pittsburgh in the west, and Alabama in between."
HeyBub wrote:

David G. Nagel wrote:

Which one is the part that keeps electing Murtha? Despite him showing his disdain for them by calling them a bunch of racists?

Yes, Pennsylvania is very nice between Pittsburgh and Philidelphia. It sucks at those ends, though.
David G. Nagel wrote:

I live in Pennsylvania and you can hunt about anywhere. For years, all the little towns and boro's in Allegheny County had no hunting laws. About 10 years ago one of them, Fox Chapel, a borough of the super rich, decided the deer population was getting too big and was eating all the expensive shrubs and flowers of the estate owners and was going to cull the herd, as they say.
Well, a bunch of Bambi lovers went nuts and tried to stop the kill because the borough had an ordinance against hunting. In the middle of the fight, 'we're not hunting', yes, you're hunting, no we're not thing-ee, the Pennsylvania Game Commission got involved and said Fox Chapels no hunting law was worthless, the PA Game Commission laws over rule them, and furthermore, the Game Commission over rules all the other no hunting laws in conflict with Game commission law. Immediately, deer hunting was on everywhere. The rule is if the land is private, and the owner allows hunting, go ahead and hunt. Game commission rules, like 150 yards from a residence, need a license and so on are all still in affect.
I also live in a highly populated area of Pittsburgh, and deer hunting during hunting season is now a given. Your grandfather would probably be happy. I don't hunt so don't know all the rules, but my son hunted deer with a 12 gage shotgun and punkin balls.
Ground deer meat makes the best chili, taco's and spaghetti sauce on earth, but sucks for just about any other use, imo.
--
Jack
Go Penns!