WOT: Gun Buy Outs

Page 2 of 7

Sounds like a tossup on which one is more dangerous.
On Tue, 12 May 2009 02:47:25 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self

You may actually know a lot more people who carry, but don't advertise the fact. I carried concealed for almost 10 years when I was working in a place with a less than salubrious environment. In all that time neither my boss nor my co-workers knew I was carrying. It really would have been something only my wife and myself would have known if it weren't for my getting a speeding ticket while carrying (Washington state law at the time required you to disclose), after which a number LEOs know as well, as did some of their friends and family.
Still, the point is that many people carry concealed and consider silence about it to be part of the concealment.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
My laptop knows me too well - it just announced "your battery is low!"

Amazing how many ppl fail to understand this basic concept.
I moved here to CO from CA and was shocked to discover that, based on my sterling record, the state CANNOT refuse to issue me a ccw. I don't have one, but talk about a change of political climate. Wow! 8|
nb

Even scarier is if you took any of his statements as anything other than high comedy.
nb

As a for instance, if I'm standing at one end of my living room, and some clown with a knife is bleeding on the floor inside my kicked open door, we can probably let the cops guess.
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

What is the purpose of law enforcement?
The NRA has been very successful throwing crap (AKA: Fear Mongering) on the wall; however, the masses are beginning to see thru their crap.
Less and less of it is sticking on the wall these days.
Lew

That assumes that they are there to do something... if they are fine. If they aren't what are you going to do? It's not about being judge, jury and executioner it's about stopping whatever behaviors led to the weapon deployment in the first place. If mere presence doesn't command compliance then shooting may be the only way to stop the behavior. The research literature is full of support for this notion... and the NRA doesn't own the tier one, peer reviewed, academic journals in which it appears.
We'll solve nothing here... and we're WAY OT! Read a couple hundred journal articles and then make an informed opinion. Folks like Gary Kleck went in with a bias and their intellectual integrity led them to change their opinion. Dig up a copy of Gary Kleck's Point Blank for a good start on a literature review--it's got lots of citations. Dig up the stuff from Art Kellermann, et al., in the medical literature too... there is a marked difference between the two schools that becomes clear after you read a lot of articles. What say you?
Me... tonight I'm thinking about teaching another hand cut dovetail class as I've received a number of requested recently... Helping lay the groundwork to get Heller to the USSC pretty much cured me of arguing about gun regulation! LOL
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

Here in L/A, the gun issue revolves around drugs and the gang wars.
Almost every night there is a report on the evening news of a drive by shooting in broad daylight, often with heart breaking results.
Not uncommon for an innocent kid, often under the age of 10, to be gunned down in the cross walk as a gang car drives down the street shooting anything in sight in an attempt to capture turf.
Having a bunch of over weight, middle aged guys, toting fire arms to challenge these gangs is simply not going to happen.
Thinking someone is going to cross your threshold after dark, armed to the teeth, and steal your wife's jewelry, your cash and who knows what else is again extremely remote.
Even if they do, the probability an individual will shoot first, think later is al;so remote.
Before you actually kill another human being, you will probably pause for just a moment, a moment's delay which can cost you your life.
These thugs don't have a problem invading your house during the day when the house is unoccupied; however, breaking into an occupied house after dark is a totally different matter.
The difference, if they get caught is some where around 10 years to life, if I remember.
These people aren't very bright, but they aren't that stupid either.
Steal during the day, sleep at night.
Just some thoughts.
Lew

Most of them these days are on METH and don't know what Planet they're on, never mind what the difference in jail time might be.

I used to teach college level courses inside maximum security prisons... While many of the violent inmates were under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol during the commission of their crime(s), some were simply deranged. Reasoning works with neither and an armed civilian could very well have been spared their life or physical harm if they'd been armed... the inmates agreed with me on that! They don't want to be shot any more than "normal" people do... which is why simply displaying a firearm often ends the incident.
John
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

That must have been very interesting.
Certainly gives you a perspective, most of us, including me, don't have.

I don't have a problem with someone carrying a sidearm, IF, a big IF, they have received proper training, which includes but is not limited to practice range time, updated on a regular basis.
Here in California, every one in law enforcement, who carries a sidearm, has to qualify on the range every 30 days.
I doubt most amateur gun owners could meet that standard.
(SFWIW, I got a lot of lead resource for a 20,000 lb ballast for a sailboat I built from those range pits.)
(Today, even with the HazMat experience I had, couldn't do it. EPA has really clamped down)
I sure most other states have similar training programs in place.
It's the "fruit cakes" that concern me, not the pros.
Lew

Few of the LEOs I know could meet that frequency standard. LEOs as a class aren't necessarily into guns, it's just a tool of their trade. Along that line of thinking, a criminal justice professor associate of mine refers to rank and file LEOs as "trade unionists" and the non-union LEOs as "politicians." A bit crass perhaps, but upon reflection it's a pretty good generalization.
As research I went through about 100 hours of armed guard training. I was looking at the organizational issues surrounding the industry.... I consistently out shot and scored higher on the exams than all the folks pursuing it as a vocation. Quite frankly, I'd be afraid to hold that job if my skill level was a low as many of them... but the shooting standards were the same as a typical LEO was required to meet!
I do have grave concerns about denying people the means to defend themselves and their families by "pricing them out of the market." This via expensive mandatory training, mandatory "technology," and punitive licensing fees and processes. The people most likely to need the defensive weapons are those least likely to be able to afford the standards demanded by legislative efforts. Victim disarmament is also class warfare... People like Schumer and Kennedy have armed bodyguards but the lower income folks they represent apparently aren't worth having alive based on the pols efforts to disarm the populace.
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

Guess that Californians should have some sense of pride in the training our law enforcement receives.

Ouch.
The prison guards have a very strong union here in California.
I don't know if they are required to have the same firearms training as street officers.

That's the old "I can afford the house but not the maintenance" issue.
On a broader perspective, why do they need the firearms in the first place.

If you want to drive a car, you need a driver's license, which mayor may not require an investment in training.

I don't necessarily accept the idea owning a firearm for protection is needed.

Public officials unfortunately have a different set of needs from the general population.
Other than assault rifles, I've seen no "efforts to disarm the populace", as you call it.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

You do realize that the definition of "assault rifles" is merely code for "scary-looking guns"? The so-called assault rifles are merely cosmetic elements applied to semi-automatic rifles. Calling them "assault rifles" makes gullible people think that the government is banning machine guns which have already been heavily restricted since the 1930's.

I agree. I also wonder why we need a free press, the right to peaceably assemble, due process, protection from unwarranted search and seizure....

I might have missed it, but I didn't see the right to a driver's license in the US Constitution.

And I don't necessarily accept the idea of the government being prohibited from quartering troops during a time of peace.

What do you call the various handgun bans around the country?

todd
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Well, they did it in New York City with the Sullivan Law.
But your statement "other than assault rifles..." is way too similar to the mayor of D.C. bragging "If you don't count the homicides, D.C. is a great place to live."

Public officials don't have a different need. They may be at higher risk but they're not any different than you or I.

What do you call the effort in San Francisco that the mayor tried to push through a couple of years back? What about DC? Chicago? NYC? The Brady Bunch in general? If you can't see it you've got your head in the sand.
Larry

but they feel that they do and are, i'd wager.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

the firearms training we received I was one of the best shots there. The other's were ex military. During shotgun training the instructor was moving to a new firing station with one of the female trainees. The trainee had the shotgun at port arms with the end of the barrel pointed right at the instructor's head. The weapon was loaded and I think ready to fire but I am not sure. By the way it had been over 20 years since I had last fired a rifle and I was still one of the best in my class.
On Wed, 13 May 2009 23:20:40 -0500, "David G. Nagel"

Both the "instructor" and the trainee should have gotten a thorough reaming from the range safety officer.
Admittedly I have first hand experience only with the USMC, but I can't feature a 'grunt' making that kind of mistake. During my service, the philosophy was that every Marine was a rifleman first, and only after that was his duties defined by MOS.
The two statements quoted lead me to believe that some percentage of the members of the other armed forces may have only a nodding acquaintance with personal weapons.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein