WOT: Gun Buy Outs

Page 1 of 7
A week or so ago, a few Lynchburg churches got together with the cops, and decided to buy any illegal guns that were brought in, no questions asked, amnesty offered and all that truck. The stated and heavily publicized idea is to get illegal guns off the streets, thus reducing crime.
It was well publicized and praised, while I sat back and pondered, coming to the conclusion, "WTF?"
In the end, they got one gun, with the follow-up article going on to say that it was a great start, but ONLY a start.
That brought another question to mind: "WTF?"
Is there something wrong with my thinking, or with theirs, in that I do not believe the people who use legal or illegal guns in criminal acts are going to show up at these buyouts? About the only person liable to turn in a weapon at one of these affairs is the person who accidentally urns up great-great-aunt Lucy's derringer with a cracked barrel, IMO. Grab $100 for a $1 curio.
Too, in this state, about the only way to have an illegal gun is to be a convicted felon with one in your possession.
I'm also thinking of starting a group called Liberals for Firearms. That should frost a few noses on both sides of the aisle, including the local butt wipe who write the paper implying that Obama supporters who don't have patriotic bumper stickers are unpatriotic.
Semper fi!
Charlie Self wrote:

The problem, and while it is not limited to those on the Left is very prominent among them, is a failure to THINK. By think, I mean take a good long look at what you are advocating and do it in the cold light of day. Ask questions along the following lines:
1) What will be the REAL immediate impact of this piece of legislation or social action?
2) What will be the long term impact of this piece of legislation or social action?
3) What unintended consequences could arise from this action?
4) With what is proposed, could it actually make things worse and if so "how?"
While there are more questions to be considered, you get the idea. The root of the problem is two fold:
We live in a "sound bite" world and folks have, for the most part (this applies acrose the board) forgotten how to critically assess. Also, we have a large segment of the culture that denies the existance of any form of "absolute." Therefore, all things become possible
For what its worth
Deb

Snip
Sorta goes with the mentality of implementing the Marijuana Stamp.

Yup, it's highly doubtful. The intention is that any gun turned in (even aunt Lucy's derringer) is one more gun that won't turn up somewhere in the hands of the criminal element. I can't comment on the efficacy of the program, but the effort put into that particular instance where only one gun was turned in might well have been better used somewhere else in gun crime prevention.
Offhand, it sounds like an attempt to do *something* by some people who just don't know what else to do about fighting gun crimes.
Up here in Toronto, Canada, there was a similar program recently (billed as Pixels for Pistols) where a gun turned in garnered a new digital camera as recompense. At the very least, the program is good for people who don't have a decent disposal option for their guns. And, I'm sure a popular response will be that the only guns turned in were likely to be from responsible people, not the criminal element. http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10073879-1.html
In the end after several months, I believe several hundred firearms were turned in. I don't know if there was any resulting or recordable drop in Toronto gun crimes as a result of the program. At a guess, it may have had slightly more of an effect here where guns aren't as common as they are in many US locales.
wrote in message

In Some locales here you can probably find one in the 7-11 dumpster, should you forget yours while on the way to rob the place. :()
I remember a gun buyback here in Baltimore some years ago, many/most of the weapons turned in were old BB guns, broken/rusted out shotguns, etc. and in at least one reported case, a toy.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
"Charlie Self" wrote:

Location, location, location.
This past weekend, a buy out program was conducted here in L/A.
A $100 food card was given in exchange for a firearm.
There were 20 drop off stations.
Simply drive buy, have a cop remove the weapon from vehicle, get card, and drive away, no questions asked.
The program was so successful, they ran out of cards early in the day.
Lots of "Saturday Night Specials" were collected.
Another collection day is planned.
On average, would guestimate that 3-5 people are shot and killed every day in SoCal.
People are getting tired of the violence.
Appears to be an entirely different mentality in Virginia.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

They had one in Oakland last year and were paying $250/gun. A couple of dealers from Nevada showed up with Saturday Night Specials that they had bought (wholesale) for about $85 each and made out like bandits.
Your statement, however, "On average, would guestimate that 3-5 people are shot and killed every day in SoCal. People are getting tired of the violence" begs the question. First, what evidence is there that these people didn't need killin'? Secondly, might it not be the case that considerably MORE people need to be shot.
No, a statement of the form: "three people a day are shot" is not indicative of the type of action, if any, that might be required.
If they ever have a "gun buyback" program in my neighborhood, I'm gonna set up a table and offer twice what the going rate will be. Of course, I'll be selective, but, who knows, I might end up with a Barret .50 cal for $200.
"HeyBub" wrote:

Get some help, you need it.
Lew

Perhaps he didn't articulate that well... I think his point is that there are a significant number of defensive firearms usages each year and "bad guys" that need to be stopped end up being shot... Others who are involved in gun regulation research and politics have written similar things. It's not that the defensive gun users want to shoot anybody... the idea is to stop whatever action led the defensive gun user to shoot. As stated by the original poster it was a rather inflammatory statement. Worded as someone like Gary Kleck, Dave Kopel, Gary Mauser, or Don Kates might say it it would look much more reasonable.
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

How does one know which are the "defensive gun users"?

Interesting question... criminal on criminal mutual combats wouldn't count but clearly there are myriad instances of firearm deployment, with and without shooting, where it is clear that criminal behavior was being stopped by an intended innocent victim. Of course there are gray areas that are later judged under "reasonable man" assessments of the situation.
In the end the "facts" surrounding a shooting turn out to be ambiguous stimuli that are subject to cognitive manipulation. That is how law enforcement is sometimes deemed wrong and where police and civilians alike are judged to have committed justifiable homicide. Figuring out which is which is not unlike the figuring out which of the myriad ways to properly do hand cut dovetails is correct... ;~)
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

[snip]
Let me restate the problem: I am having lunch in a cafe and an armed person walks in. This person is not a peace officer. Do I put some money on the counter and leave? Should I assume that this person is not a miscreant? How do I make this determination?     j4

By his behaviors... Also, it wouldn't be valid to assume no uniform means non-LEO. Could be plain clothes or off-duty. The press has reported on several shootings recently that involved off duty and retired LEOs who were being victimized. The perps happened to pick the wrong victims!
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Personally I like the perp who tries to rob the cop bar....
jo4hn wrote:

What is he doing with the weapon. Is it in his hand or on his waist?

Is his firearm in hand or holstered? Concealed or on his hip? What state are you eating lunch in?
I would rely on (& suggest you do so as well) my situational awareness, my ability to "profile" and read body language.
btw...LOE's kill more of the "wrong" guys than do private citizens.....its complicated but their shootings are justified as "being per policy, the victim is still just as dead or wounded. :)
visit the CDC & the FBI websites and immerse yourself in the data
the "success" of the recetn buy buybacks might be somewhat influenced by the recession?
cheers Bob
jo4hn wrote:

Arizona is an open carry state, meaning that it is legal to carry a weapon in plain sight. Somebody walks into a cafe so carrying, if they are not acting beligerent or threatening (potential felonies if one has a weapon by the way), then you enjoy your dinner knowing that you aren't going to need to worry about a Luby's style shooter in that cafe.

I've got an old college friend who now lives in the desert near Sonoita. He's been there for more than 35 years now, maybe 40, living as he wishes and carrying a pistol just about everywhere. He's something of a wild assed liberal, too.

Meant to add to my comment on my Sonoita pal that Virginia is an open carry state, with concealed carry permits readily available after the gun owner takes what I think is a five day course.
That said, I've got to say I only know a couple of people who carry around here, and it's a 50-50 split between one guy who fears everything, and the other who is a strutting horse's ass.