Worst POS Tool You Ever Bought

Page 4 of 6
I also had an old Wagner airless sprayer with a two gallon bucket hopper on top. I sprayed several homes both interior and exterior and made thousands of dollars with it. We used it in our business for 12 years with no repairs.
cm

On 12 Oct 2006 10:58:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
My wife had their silly "power" roller when we met... IMHO, it's as bad as the sprayer as far as taking more time to clean IT than time it MIGHT save by using it..
My worst? That would be my first Harbor Fright purchase.... A set of "clamping pliers" (vise grip knockoffs) The first time that I used them for anything that required any real clamping force, the pressed threads in the handle unfolded and left the threaded bolt wobbling and loose...

Mac
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...
Craftsman 9" disk / 6" belt sander. The belt never did track quite straight -- even the tiniest tweak to the tracking adjustment would send the belt skidding off to one side or the other, and it took only a few seconds for it to cut completely through the *plastic* dust-collection port when it did. Plus it was noisy as hell.

LOL! I had the same nasty tool. it was complete crap. I think the only tool I ever bought from Sears that I wasn't disappointed with was my first Radial Arm Saw. That was a nice tool. Well except for that nasty planning accessory that nearly broke my fingers. I loved the 10 inch sanding disk though.

Kind of funny... my brother has that same machine and it's been nothing but trouble, but I bought the same machine at Harbor Fright on sale for 1/2 the cost of his Crapman WITH a stand and it's been a great work horse for almost 5 years now... You just never know what you're going to get, I guess.. Mac
Doug Miller wrote:

I have the same machine. On the advise of Keeter I tried a couple of wraps of electrical tape around the center of the idler drum to give it sort of a crown. It still sucks but I can get it to track somewhat.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:
All dug out?
It's nice to see you're OK! <G>
Craftsman router. Not only did it have the random height feature, when you twised the body to raise or lower the bit there was play in the mechanism so it didn't necessarily go straight up and down.
-- Mark
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 19:08:19 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

sweet.
I've still got one :(
But once I got it dialed in with a dovetail cutter for 1/2" dovetails in 1/2 stock using the Craftsman dovetail jig, I've let it alone. It waits for that job.
When I lived in upstate NY, there was an outfit that sold 88-cent hand tools. Thrifty me - I bought the 88-cent claw hammer that lost a claw to the first nail that I tried to pull (10d as I recall). I pulled the nail with a pair of pliars and a block of wood. Then when I tried to re-nail the piece, the handle broke about 3" from the head.
I don't think I ever returned.

How hard is it to make a hammer? One might think this is one of the most screw up proof tools. I stand corrected.
George Max wrote:

Probably a junk pot metal casting from china

This is why the Army pays 600 bucks for hammer. Not because it's 600 bucks worth of tool but because it takes 600 bucks worth of tests to make sure that they haven't been ripped off by the lowest bidder.
Morris Dovey wrote:

You sure expect a lot for your $0.88!
FoggyTown
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

Anything B&D.
R. Pierce Butler wrote:

99% of what's in Harbor Frieght.

Harbor Freight sold me a real nice furniture dolly. I don't know that it'd be possible to mess that up too much.
George Max wrote:

My rule of thumb when I used to shop there was to ask myself .. Is there any possible way they could screw this up? They surprised me by figuring out a way to screw up jigsaw blades, pliers, screwdrivers, and other stuff.
Their pipe clamps are ok (not quite as smooth as ponies). I got a nice heavy grinder stand from them, one good hammer, and a lot of $$$ worth of useless crap. I know I have a net loss with them in terms of "savings".. When you have to toss a lot of the stuff in the trash, it really eats away at what you really save by going there.
bf wrote:

Anybody remember WEN tools...
--
Jack Novak