Worst POS Tool You Ever Bought

Page 3 of 6
A metal bender from Harbor Freight - First and last time I'll shop at that junk shop. After getting the bender home, after assembling, it broke the first time I pulled on it. Returned it, second one snaped in the same place. Returned it, third one, same snap. Tossed it.
Best tools - Lie-Nielsen planes/chisels - Snap-on hand tools.
Dave

Well at least you didn't go blind...:)
On Oct 12, 5:13 pm, snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

STOPPIT you guys... I'm laughing so hard it hurts.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: ...

Was the particular paint actually rated for spray application and if so, were airless sprayers recommended? Quite a few latex paints, particularly are not intended for spray application and some, even if are approved, have pretty specific requirements for suitable sprayers. That said, there are reasons why inexpensive tools are so...
dpb wrote:

The paint can said it may be thinned to a certain ratio for spray application, which I did. I followed Wagner's (very feeble) directions to the tee.
Sometimes I'll buy a cheap tool if I'm not sure how much I'm actually going to use it. If I find that I use the tool a lot and it's worth upgrading, I'll buy a better version. This has worked out well for me in most instances. I bought the Wagner (cheap) because I knew we are at the very end of a major remodel. Most of the painting is done, except for the damned extensive deck railing. This will have been my only use for the tool and I would have been happy to shell out the money if the tool worked at all. It did not. Lesson learned.
Someone gave me great advice today: Rent a professional sprayer from my local rental center. Sounds like a great idea and that's my next move.
Thanks, Chuck
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

You know - I had that same problem when I bought a Wagner 25 years ago. The only way it worked without jamming was if the paint was so thin you could see through it.
And I always thought it was me. 25 years later and they still don't work? Shouldn't there be a "Wagnersucks.com" web site after all these years?
writes:

With airless, you need to match the filter and the nozzle to the paint, otherwise you're going to blow a hole in the filter after which the nozzle is going to clog.
Not just Wagner--any airless.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Well, it was a thought and something I had run into previously. ...

For one-time if the rates aren't exorbitant or the required time is short enough, not a bad idea for sure. It seems like quite often what looks like a good reason for renting ends up costing me most of what I could have bought the thing for--and I don't have one, either... :( But, you can probably rent a really good unit for the cost of one of the lower-end Grayco and if you reallly don't have any further need no real loss and it's one less thing to store until you do.
With the deck and railing just be sure you've protected against the overspray problem adequately...
Lee Valley corner-rounding gadgets (only things that cut worse than a #45)
Lee Valley scraper plane insert for a #4 (just not rigid enough)
Japanese "saw rasp" from Axminster. Works beautifully on builder's insulation foam. So if all you ever work is foam, go get one. Even better, have mine.
Japanese flush-cutting dowel saw.
Any sander with less than a horsepower behind it.
Eclipse honing guide. Narrow single roller wears a groove in your stone.
I should point out that the LV tools weren't particularly bad, they were just particularly noticeable - becauseeverything else works so well.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Chuck
I bought a re-manufactured Wagner 9150 four years ago. Other than having to replace the seals this year, it has run great. Don't know if it's considered a homeowner's paint sprayer, but it is electric and spits out paint at about 3000 PSI.
Next time look on-line for re-manufactured. The price was more than one of the cheap-o units, but if you own a painted house with painted buildings and a stained deck, you'll really appreciate it.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer

100% Correct when it comes to Latex, and really anyone who says otherwise would have to prove it with a video...it sucks bigtime. Great for stain on shingles and decks. I had a rather good experience painting latex with a older Craftsman in the young 80's, but lent it out and just forgot about it. So I decided to get the Wagner.....the tiny piston just got to hot to quick.
I still use the wagner for outside.......just NEVER AGAIN with Latex!

On 12 Oct 2006 10:58:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
All these posts and not one mentioning the 'good' old Ryobi Detail Sander.
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 04:21:21 -0400, JKevorkian

There's a mention in someone else's posting about a detail sander. And my own experience with the B&D detail sander.
Those two along with your Ryobi experience suggests that *all* detail sanders are crap.

My detail sanders are arthritic, but definitely not crap. But they came with the package.
Markem (sixoneeight) = 618
George Max wrote:

Fein?

Maybe it's good. But the other manufacturers are destroying this category of tool. I won't be taking a chance. after experiencing the B&D "Mouse" and what's been written here.
George Max wrote:

no maybe about the fein. it's a fabulous machine.
I was so disgusted with a Wagner sprayer that I brought it back to HD without cleaning it, and demanded, and got, my money back.
We use a Wagner Control Spray to paint doors and have had very good results. We have sprayed over 25 doors to date.
cm