Worst POS Tool You Ever Bought

: If you want/need a decent but not terribly expensive spray unit, try : the lower-range Grayco that HD sells (or at least did a couple years : ago--haven't been back to see since it's 2-hr drive to get to one). : Have done the entire barn and house w/ oil primer and latex topcoat w/ : no problems. Wasn't cheap, but not terribly expensive, either. About : $200-250 iirc...

I bought the next one up, which was either $299 or $399. Terrific tool -- painted a whole house interior faster than I would have thought possible, and pretty easy cleanup IF you follow the directions to a T.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

snipped-for-privacy@lr.los-gatos.ca.us wrote in news:1160678982.707495@smirk:

*snip*

When looking for a plunge router, I told my Mom we were not going to bother with Sears. I did not want the ARHA feature. (I got a Ridgid with lifetime warranty on everything.) Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I don't find painting to be drudgery at all -- I enjoy it. Painting is fun. It's the *prep* work that sucks. *That's* drudgery. That, and cleaning up afterward.

Reply to
Doug Miller

That's exactly what I meant, Doug. Guess I wasn't quite clear.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

A metal bender from Harbor Freight - First and last time I'll shop at that junk shop. After getting the bender home, after assembling, it broke the first time I pulled on it. Returned it, second one snaped in the same place. Returned it, third one, same snap. Tossed it.

Best tools - Lie-Nielsen planes/chisels - Snap-on hand tools.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Well at least you didn't go blind...:)

Reply to
jimmy

STOPPIT you guys... I'm laughing so hard it hurts.

Reply to
Robatoy

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: ...

Was the particular paint actually rated for spray application and if so, were airless sprayers recommended? Quite a few latex paints, particularly are not intended for spray application and some, even if are approved, have pretty specific requirements for suitable sprayers. That said, there are reasons why inexpensive tools are so...

Reply to
dpb

The paint can said it may be thinned to a certain ratio for spray application, which I did. I followed Wagner's (very feeble) directions to the tee.

Sometimes I'll buy a cheap tool if I'm not sure how much I'm actually going to use it. If I find that I use the tool a lot and it's worth upgrading, I'll buy a better version. This has worked out well for me in most instances. I bought the Wagner (cheap) because I knew we are at the very end of a major remodel. Most of the painting is done, except for the damned extensive deck railing. This will have been my only use for the tool and I would have been happy to shell out the money if the tool worked at all. It did not. Lesson learned.

Someone gave me great advice today: Rent a professional sprayer from my local rental center. Sounds like a great idea and that's my next move.

Thanks, Chuck

Reply to
shinola9

Don't forget that collet that either releases the bit while you are routing or seizes up you have rap the bit with a hammer to loosen it.

Reply to
Robert Haar

You know - I had that same problem when I bought a Wagner 25 years ago. The only way it worked without jamming was if the paint was so thin you could see through it.

And I always thought it was me. 25 years later and they still don't work? Shouldn't there be a "Wagnersucks.com" web site after all these years?

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Hey, the Jackal used one to paint his white Alfa-Romeo blue (in The Day of the Jackal). He eluded capture for several days. It must be good.

Reply to
LRod

Lee Valley corner-rounding gadgets (only things that cut worse than a #45)

Lee Valley scraper plane insert for a #4 (just not rigid enough)

Japanese "saw rasp" from Axminster. Works beautifully on builder's insulation foam. So if all you ever work is foam, go get one. Even better, have mine.

Japanese flush-cutting dowel saw.

Any sander with less than a horsepower behind it.

Eclipse honing guide. Narrow single roller wears a groove in your stone.

I should point out that the LV tools weren't particularly bad, they were just particularly noticeable - becauseeverything else works so well.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Don't you love quality control via the customer.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

My experience with them is just the opposite. A former neighbor had one of these things many years ago. His retirement scheme in the late 80's during the turndown was to buy up cosmetically challenged homes, fix them up, and then rent them to make the loan payment. I helped him paint 5 or

6 houses with this tool, and it performed flawlessly (except for one unforgettable burst hose caused by a nicked hose).

The Power Roller is a great tool. It will really let you put on the paint - a gallon in 15 minutes if you work hard at it. Virtually no dripping once you get the hang of it.

The efficiency trick is to paint all rooms and ceilings the same color - off white. It takes the better part of an hour to do a good cleanup job. Not a tool I would reach for to paint one room, but to paint an empty house all the same color? You bet. It would be my first choice.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

I have to agree with you on that one. Mine fell apart about 1' into a cut and even Hercules couldn't tighten the cheap screws enough to make it hold its height. The POS didn't even last one project. I consider it the worst Christmas gift ever.

But the most worthless I have is a Crapsman detail sander. The head vibrates so much side to side that it will ruin your work instead of sanding it. Took me 3 hours to fix a 1 minute use of it. I gonna feel bad for the person that buys it in a garage sale.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Roy

With airless, you need to match the filter and the nozzle to the paint, otherwise you're going to blow a hole in the filter after which the nozzle is going to clog.

Not just Wagner--any airless.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well, it was a thought and something I had run into previously. ...

For one-time if the rates aren't exorbitant or the required time is short enough, not a bad idea for sure. It seems like quite often what looks like a good reason for renting ends up costing me most of what I could have bought the thing for--and I don't have one, either... :( But, you can probably rent a really good unit for the cost of one of the lower-end Grayco and if you reallly don't have any further need no real loss and it's one less thing to store until you do.

With the deck and railing just be sure you've protected against the overspray problem adequately...

Reply to
dpb

Chuck

I bought a re-manufactured Wagner 9150 four years ago. Other than having to replace the seals this year, it has run great. Don't know if it's considered a homeowner's paint sprayer, but it is electric and spits out paint at about 3000 PSI.

Next time look on-line for re-manufactured. The price was more than one of the cheap-o units, but if you own a painted house with painted buildings and a stained deck, you'll really appreciate it.

Reply to
Michael White

I just finished painting our house with a Wagner PaintCrew, and it seemed to go pretty good.

Reply to
justme