Worst POS Tool You Ever Bought

Page 2 of 6

: If you want/need a decent but not terribly expensive spray unit, try : the lower-range Grayco that HD sells (or at least did a couple years : ago--haven't been back to see since it's 2-hr drive to get to one). : Have done the entire barn and house w/ oil primer and latex topcoat w/ : no problems. Wasn't cheap, but not terribly expensive, either. About : $200-250 iirc...
I bought the next one up, which was either $299 or $399. Terrific tool -- painted a whole house interior faster than I would have thought possible, and pretty easy cleanup IF you follow the directions to a T.
    -- Andy Barss
I bought a Wagner power roller many years ago. Pre-use setup and post-use cleaning took way longer than any time it might have saved in the rolling process. Plus, the infernal noise of the compressor running almost constantly left me with ringing ears and a splitting headache.
I couldn't sell it at three garage sales.... but the insurance company finally paid for it when Hurricane Katrina flooded my house!

There's a problem in general with almost all gadgets that are intended to make painting faster: they're speeding up the wrong part of the process. _By_far_ the most time-consuming aspect of doing a proper paint job is the prep work: patching, washing, scraping, sanding, masking, etc. The actual application of the paint goes quickly by comparison.

No ear protection?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

So true!
Doug Miller wrote:

Only used it once - would have definitely worn ear protection the second time. As I recall, there was no mention of that in the instructions - the compressor was only supposed to run intermittently. But the thing didn't seal properly - that was another problem.
But, alas, taking the drudgery out of painting is a much more elusive goal than building a better mousetrap.

I don't find painting to be drudgery at all -- I enjoy it. Painting is fun. It's the *prep* work that sucks. *That's* drudgery. That, and cleaning up afterward.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

If you have a large flat area (like priming drywall in a house or painting all the ceilings one color), an 18 inch roller will really speed up the painting process.

My experience with them is just the opposite. A former neighbor had one of these things many years ago. His retirement scheme in the late 80's during the turndown was to buy up cosmetically challenged homes, fix them up, and then rent them to make the loan payment. I helped him paint 5 or 6 houses with this tool, and it performed flawlessly (except for one unforgettable burst hose caused by a nicked hose).
The Power Roller is a great tool. It will really let you put on the paint - a gallon in 15 minutes if you work hard at it. Virtually no dripping once you get the hang of it.
The efficiency trick is to paint all rooms and ceilings the same color - off white. It takes the better part of an hour to do a good cleanup job. Not a tool I would reach for to paint one room, but to paint an empty house all the same color? You bet. It would be my first choice.
Regards, Roy
Never tried any Wagner. I've borrowed a professional ($800) paint sprayer from a neighbor, and it works GREAT.
My vote: A cheap Sears router (1/2 or 3/4 HP) from the early 90s. Height adjustment is done with a plastic ring that's clamped onto the base, and goes all the way around the motor. The motor itself is in a plastic housing, and has a spiral plastic thread that engages the height adjustment ring - or not, depending on the phase of the moon. And the height adjustment ring isn't tight, so it spins around by itself. All this gives rise to ...
ARHA - a feature available only on Sears routers:
Automatic Random Height Adjust
--
The address in the header is invalid for obvious reasons. Please
reconstruct the address from the information below (look for _).

When looking for a plunge router, I told my Mom we were not going to bother with Sears. I did not want the ARHA feature. (I got a Ridgid with lifetime warranty on everything.) Puckdropper

On 2006/10/12 2:49 PM, " snipped-for-privacy@lr.los-gatos.ca.us"

Don't forget that collet that either releases the bit while you are routing or seizes up you have rap the bit with a hammer to loosen it.
Robert Haar wrote:

Oh yes, the Automatic Bit Release Feature.. Nothing like it.. Scared the crap out of me enough to immediately stop working on the project and buy a real router.

broke through the top of the work piece and scared me silly (although my brother who also inhabits the wreck might say that condition is congenital).
I have to agree with you on that one. Mine fell apart about 1' into a cut and even Hercules couldn't tighten the cheap screws enough to make it hold its height. The POS didn't even last one project. I consider it the worst Christmas gift ever.
But the most worthless I have is a Crapsman detail sander. The head vibrates so much side to side that it will ruin your work instead of sanding it. Took me 3 hours to fix a 1 minute use of it. I gonna feel bad for the person that buys it in a garage sale.
Allen

Black & Decker detail sander. Bad bad bad. All about noise and vibration and *nothing* about sanding. Total junk. POS
Porter Cable 555 biscuit joiner. The damn fence was a fight to get parallel to the cutter. I didn't toss it, I sold it and recovered about 80% of what I paid. Not completely a POS though.
The Rockler diamond coated cones for sharpening hollow mortise chisels. The coating immediately removes itself from the cone upon application to the chisel. POS.
Craftsman router bit sharpening system. A small stone to be mounted to the router, a jig attached to the bottom of the router, align the bit with the stone, turn on and move the bit over the stone. Junk. A router bit destroying shark if you can get past the idea of spinning a stone at 25,000 rpm. POS.
Craftsman jigsaw. POS All noise and vibration and very little actual cutting of wood.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

My vote is with "user error".
I bought a relatively inexpensive ($100), small (quart cup) Wagner sprayer around 20 years ago, no problems ever. Mostly, I use it on louvered doors but on cabinets too. I've used oil, latex, lacquer, stain...sprays them all. Only problem is that it will spit globs if I let the cup get too low but that is user error.
I also bought a bigger, more expensive one when I built my house to paint the interior. I sprayed close to 80 gallons in three days, sold the sprayer for almost what I paid. I sold it not because it didn't work well - it did - but because I had no further use for it.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 12 Oct 2006 10:58:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Your way too hard on Wagner.. Some 30 years ago my brother bought one (about 40$) and offered to paint my car with it. Being dumber then than now, I agreed. The paint job actually looked good - from across the street, in the dark, and if you squinted .
All spray painting is now done with an air compressor powered gun.
Pete
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:15:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@mts.net wrote:

never tried it, and never plan to try it. :)
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:15:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@mts.net wrote:

Hey, the Jackal used one to paint his white Alfa-Romeo blue (in The Day of the Jackal). He eluded capture for several days. It must be good.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite