Worst POS Tool You Ever Bought

Page 1 of 6
Here's my vote: ANY Wagner homeowner's paint sprayer. I bought the expensive one (The Paint Crew) first and then tried the $100 "Wide Shot". The sales help in the BORGs know nothing about any of these products, because, they tell me that Wagner has no reps and nobody to demonstrate or teach the products to them.
The Owner's Manuals are disgustingly bad but I followed the directions to the best of my ability. I thinned the (latex) paint to the maximum allowed by the manufacturer. I strained the paint through a paint strainer, all just like they said.
First of all "The Paint Crew" couldn't pump the paint at all. Even when it was thinned per manufacturer's specs. I continued to thin until the unit could actually pump but by that time, it was so thin that it just ran right off the work piece. Brought that one back. Got the "Wide Shot".
This one actually worked with the thinned and strained paint - for about ten minutes until the first clog. Cleaned out the pickup tube and got 5 more minutes till the next clog. Cleaned again, got 2 more minutes. Thoroughly cleaned entire gun of all paint and started up again. Got 5 more minutes before it clogged again. Gave up, and returned this POS to the store. They didn't even bother to ask what was wrong, they just gave me the refund. I am sure these units will be repackaged and back on a shelf near you within a month. Never Wagner, ever again!
Chuck
You haven't lived then. My Wagner actually works, and isn't bad for the price.
My PC444 on the other hand... If it was $10 I would say fine, but not for $100.

I have foolishly bought 3 different Wagner products over the last 25 years. I agree, If it has the name Wagner on it, it is probably not going to please you.

I recently purchased the Wagner Paint Eater to take paint off of siding.
Worked GREAT.
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:08:27 GMT, "Leon"

On the airless sprayers I agree, but I got a HVLP Wagner which for a $100 was a bargain (spraying fencing was it first job).
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

My experience was that the product works great the first time. After that they never worked correctly.
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:24:20 GMT, "Leon"

Don't you love quality control via the customer.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

I just finished painting our house with a Wagner PaintCrew, and it seemed to go pretty good.

Wait till next time. If you did not get it "factory clean" you may have different results.
snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net says...

I'm actually quite anal about getting and keeping things clean, so I'm hoping for the best. Even if I have to junk it, it was cheaper than renting a sprayer for the two days, and I don't plan on painting for as many years as my wife will let me get away with.
Leon wrote:

For the record, their paint roller syringe thingie was great. Then again, that's not a sprayer is it.
brian

If you're talking about the Paintmate Plus <http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/Wagner/product.do?productCode=Power_Roller_PaintMate mine kept losing the roller until I put a rubber band around the white plastic finger clip that purportedly holds it in place. It's been fine since. Their corner and edge painter that works on the same principle is also handy.

years.
please
I bought 2 of their power rollers. The first 20 years ago leaked all over and I threw it out. The second (new design, 12 years ago worked OK for a while but after storing for 5 years wouldn't even turn on.
Real waste of money

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Agreed! I've got a Wagner sprayer sitting in the attic where it belongs until some noob buys it off me at a garage sale.
Runner-up: Rotozip. Mostly I use it to grind my dog's nails down.
Dave

I used my Rotozip over the weekend to cut out the sink hole in a formica countertop. In woodworking it doesn't get much use, but I don't know what I would do without it when I am rehabbing houses.
Locutus wrote:

It does have some uses, but I had to repair mine early on, and other than cutting sheetrock (an unholy mess, unless you use the vacuum attachment, which I picked up at Sears), I've not found much use for it. My comments about it are purely from my personal POV. There must be SOME use for it, or I'd expect it to have been pulled from the market.
Dave

Used my rotary tool over the weekend as a laminate trimmer, installed a 1/4" flush trim bit, worked great!
Must be the new stuff. I have 2 Power Painters that work great. Painted 2 houses and stained another one with them. Had to thin latex some, but not a whole lot. Did you thin with Floetrol?
My worst purchase was a DeWalt jigsaw. To replace my old (back when they weren't crap) B&D jigsaw. Completely useless. Start a cut, the blade jams in the wood, and the saw reciprocates up and down on the wood. Yes, I tried different blades. Solved it with a Bosch. Next in line would be the Delta 9" bandsaw.

Years ago I bought a BIG top of the line Craftsman jigsaw that was absolute crap. It vibrated so badly it was useless, and kept shearing off a tiny pin inside that kept the head connected to the motor . It was HUGE but just like using a $29 cheapie. Then a couple years ago I decided to buy a Craftsman belt sander. It's useless with course 50-80 grit paper because it won't track them once they contact to wood and runs the paper into the housing chewing it up. Never again...
Bought the Mastercrap Spinsaw, thought it might be handy cutting electrical box holes in plywood that went back a day later.

My Bosch jigsaw is one of the best tools I've ever bought.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Don't know about the "expensive" Wagner, never tried it. Have one of the really cheap hand units that works ok but is, of course, way too small for anything sizable...
If you want/need a decent but not terribly expensive spray unit, try the lower-range Grayco that HD sells (or at least did a couple years ago--haven't been back to see since it's 2-hr drive to get to one). Have done the entire barn and house w/ oil primer and latex topcoat w/ no problems. Wasn't cheap, but not terribly expensive, either. About $200-250 iirc...
OBTW, I don't recall now if it was the cheapest Grayco or another I looked at at the time, but avoid any of the ones that expect you to dump the paint into their container instead of out of the can or bucket--they're invariably almost impossible to clean unless you use the liners which are a pita (to use the technical term :) )...