worn out band saw?

I have decided to buy a used 14" band saw. (probably a delta) Not only that but I sold my wife on the idea too!
I am fairly handy and have always fixed my own cars, dishwashers, lawnmowers etc. so I will look for a great deal on a saw that needs some TLC and then put a few bucks into it to make it puuurrrr. I am wondering how to tell if I am looking at a good bandsaw that I can get back into great shape or if I am looking at a money pit who only want's to break my heart.
I like to do woodworking, not fix equipment. I am trying to find a strong machine that will let me do a bunch of re-sawing without breaking the bank.
I really apreciate the great advice I get from this group.
thank you
Russ
russ wrote:

You didn't mention how much this thing is or its intended use. I assume you are not doing production 8 hours of resaw work. I also assume you have priced new and used saws of this type and feel that this one is a good buy.
Seriously, if the motor and the bearings in the wheels are good and the guides are sound, you shouldn't have to do much with it. Get a good resaw blade (e.g. Woodslicer from Highland Hardware, Timberwolf from Suffolk) and you're off.
    mahalo,     jo4hn
On 24 May 2004 00:16:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@osuchialpha.com (russ) wrote:

things to watch for:
broken castings. unless you can buy several machines to mix and match parts this could be a deal killer.
bad bearings. not too expensive or hard to replace
bad motors. figure a hunnert bux and a half hour.
damage related to blades getting out of hand. if the saw has been used hard and seldom adjusted you could be looking at damaged guides, tires table inserts, wheel covers.... open the saw up and look it over inside. follow the path of the blade and look for shiny metal...

Very helpfull thankyou.
Is it true that the delta 14" band saw sets the standard in this size range and has remained almost unchanged for the last 30 years or so?
russ
russ wrote:

More like, the last 64 years or so.. The Delta 14" first appeared in the early/mid 30's but was re-vamped by the end of the 30's to basically what is the same saw as sold today. The major changes (from the late 30's saw) consist of hinging the upper and lower wheel covers, a round rod to hold the upper guide and the stand.
Most every other 14" on the market today (Jet/Grizzly/Powermatic) are clones of the Delta saw (but built by children in a third world country).
UA100
Interestingly, the round rod fits into an upper guide casting with an obvious hex ancestry on mine.

George wrote:

Yahbut, the hex, it's way more cool.
UA100

So just how old would one without hinged doors and a hexagon upper guide rod be? Other than needing new tires, it works great.
Call Delta with a serial number...they can tell you when mm/yy it was built and probably where it was built.
My 1979 does not have the "hinged doors"....
Murray L. DeVore wrote:

Murray L. DeVore wrote:

Oh Hell, that's easy. Got a serial number?
UA100

I have the Jet knockoff. I would not buy it again. I've already had to replace the tensioning assembly after a few hours use, and the motor access door likes to pop open whenever I move it around (its on a mobile base). My neighbors USA Delta (careful, they make a cheaper Chaiwanese version) appears to be much better constructed, and I've used Delta 14" band saws in high school woodshops that were older than me.
I have plenty of Pac Rim equipment, but this is one piece of equipment the good ol USA still wins out on in the price/quality trade-off.
Joe
russ wrote:

A 14" bandsaw is okay for occasional resawing. If you plan on doing a "bunch of re-sawing" I'd suggest something larger.