Worn drill press Spindle/Sleeve

I have an old Drill press that has slope in the spindle. I can feel slope when grabbing and moving upper part of the spindle that comes out of pulley top.
I dissassembled spindle to check for wear. Spindle grooves look perfect to me. Here is my question: how worn spindle should look like?
Can it be that it's a worn sleeve causing slope not a spindle?
Thanks!
No make it more clear: the play is between sleeve and spindle
No make it more clear: the play is between sleeve and spindle
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Taper milled in them. Maybe you can post a pic or two on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking???
Philski
Yes, spindle is a part of quill assembly. Please take a look at drill manual manual: http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/partfiles/m_2550.pdf on page 16 there is an exploded view.
I have some play between part 65(Driving sleeve with inside grooves) and spindle shaft with outside grooves.
Thanks
Philski wrote:

That's nothing to worry about. The splines are a rather loose fit. They have to be so they will slide smoothly under power.